Raiders March - IS Indy's theme, imho...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bamindy from hide213.nhs.uk (195.107.47.213) on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 at 7:27am :

In Reply to: Indy's hero theme music. A theory regarding the 'Raiders March.' posted by KyleS from ? (209.191.163.10) on Monday, July 22, 2002 at 5:15pm :

I like your thinking on this, Kyle, but I have to disagree. The Raiders March is the full piece of music, but the hook which we all know so well is Indy's action theme. Whilst we don't here it in the opening episode, we do here it as he makes his escape from the Hovitos - the actual heroic action. There's a good quote from a web site which I think puts it perfectly:

"After a nice arrangement of the Raiders March that acts as a prelude to the album presentation of the score (if not in the film), there is suspenseful and creepy music as we find Jones raiding a Temple in South America. Barely a whisper of the march is heard, instead there's much tension and skittish musical responses to the dangers lurking around every corner. Only with Flight From Peru does Williams let the cat out of the bag and the march takes its place as an emotional trigger for when Indy is doing something heroic. The ability of the melody to appear as a brief hint as well as a full length theme is a testament to its inspired construction."

I am almost certain there are notes from John Williams, perhaps included in the full CD (but since I'm at work I can't check), that explain his ideas behing the Raiders music, and that the familiar melody IS Indy's theme. It occurs regularly when Indy is up to something heroic which happens often. The theme playing when Indy escapes in the plane is not the Ark theme (which has it's own) but Indy's theme, because remember as Indy takes off in the plane, he knows nothing of the Ark recovery.

Only problem with it being Indy's theme is that it wasn't used as often as it could've been in TOD, since Spielberg didn't want to overdo it for the audiences' sake (and that is a quote from the TOD soundtrack).

These thoughts are just my penny's worth! :)

Best regards,
Bamindy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com