Re: I need your heads on this, guys!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anejo Joe from 75.greenville-05-10rs.sc.dial-access.att.net on January 03, 1999 at 12:46:42:

In Reply to: Re: I need your heads on this, guys! posted by Bryan on January 03, 1999 at 07:17:30:

: :
: : Since it's already 1999, I wonder just how will the Milennium Bug affect our ol' Indyfan community??? Jus' askingg. Till then.

: :
: : ---Indiana Jerico

: Check out the many Y2K sites. It may not effect the machine directly, but if it does some how manage to shut down the power grid, all of are computers will be running much slower. Perhaps it doesn't shut down the power grid, but nation wide chaos insues, I think all of us will have more important things to worry about than posting on the spectacualr indyfan forum. Just some thoughts. Make sure your PC is Y2K compliant. If it was made after 1995 you're more than likely safe. 486 almost definately will need replaced. If you are running win 3.1 forget about it. Microsoft has almost completely stated that it will not work.

: The big problem lies in the systems that have been around for 10 or 20 years or longer. Most of these systems have been running the same software since their beginning, and that is why they have to bring in teams of programmers to go through and fix every spot where the date occurs. Another big problem, which I really don't know that much about it embedded chips. You'll have to do some research on it. A lot of systems with Y2K problems are government. Just think of the Department of Motor Vechiles lost all the info on you and your car. WHo owns what?! Imagine trying to reprove that. NASA, from what I hear, is in big trouble. They have been running the same software for a long time. They have VERY complex code and they are trying really hard to get the original programmers back in. The problem is that lots of that code, which is very math related, was written by some geniuses or something. THey ahve to be very careful because one mistake in the code and that could spell disaster for a shuttle mission. I would definately get out of the stock market if I played it. Also, it's my opinion right now that banks are going to be very shaky by the new year. You got to imagine that people are thinking, "well, I'd better get my money out just incase they lose record of it." If a lot of people do this, the bank system will be very financially shaky... Very dangerous for a bank. I also will not be flying :) even though there should not be a huge problem there.

: My opinion is that it is better to prepare for the worse. Better safe than sorry. I guess I could go on and on about this (there are so many ways it COULD affect us), but I'll let it go for now.

: -Bryan

---------------------------------------------
Unless dates are being used in a calculation, you
shouldn't have a problem. If you are worried about
your PC, reset the date to, say 1995, and you won't
have anything to worry about. Of simply reset it
on New Year's morning. Embeded chips are a problem.
You need to contact the manufacturer of the product
in question to ascertain whether or not they are
Y2K compliant. Most have web sites which can help.
There probably will be a Y2K pannic, and there's
money to be made! Just ask the consultants!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]