Here's what I think...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from edtntnt9-port-225.dial.telus.net (161.184.200.225) on Saturday, August 03, 2002 at 4:01pm :

In Reply to: Let me explain it very slowly... posted by Fall Guy from pool0063.cvx22-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (209.179.198.63) on Friday, August 02, 2002 at 8:17pm :

:
: People here have often said how great the '20s, '30s, and the '40s were (I feel like a parrot repeating that over and over). At the same time, they knock the following decades, citing what they consider negative things (i.e civil rights, beatniks, etc.).
: Fine by me, but I'd like to know what was so GREAT about the previous decades. Is it so hard to comprehend that I would like to know the REASONS for a person's preference?
: FG
: PS: Maybe you should move away from Seattle. I'm sure all those liberals there are a thorn in your eye. :p
: :
: :

...my theory for why some people have the love and nostalgia of the 20's, 30's and 40's (eras I'm pretty sure nobody is old enough to remember firsthand here) is the look and atmosphere of the era. It has nothing to do with people against civil rights, women's lib, etc. I have a feeling that they enjoy this era was because everything seemed to be in black and white. The good guys wore the white hats, the bad guys wore the black hats. Everything seemed simpler. The negatives that sadly were a reality in that time are NOT taken into account when you have fondness for that era (or any other era, there is no era that existed on this planet that doesn't have some sort of negatives). All that changes with the 60s. In a sense, from then on, what is up is down and what is down is up. If perceptions of black and white have been shattered from our collective thinking, it would be during that era when everything changes. Because of this, there have been negatives in addition to the great positives that have developed since then (AIDS, feminists who actually don't believe in gender equality and only want to turn the tables, political correctness, you name it). When new bad things turn up as a result of a current era, the knee-jerk reaction is to look back to an era where everything was seemingly better and anything that was negative back then is quickly forgotten. People always try to look for comfort and dreaming up a past that was all rosy-colored is a natural thing to do. It's been happening for quite awhile (in the 90's, people wished it was the 70's, and in the 70's, people wished it was the 50's and so on and so forth).

But nevertheless, don't stop debating away on my account. I've been finding this thread extremely fun to read. ;)

And if anyone cares, my feelings are that each era has something interesting to offer and there's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but I've learned I wouldn't trade it for right now... no matter what. And I guess that's a good thing since I have no choice either way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com