Personal freedom wasn't greater?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ? (24.116.205.230) on Sunday, August 04, 2002 at 5:01pm :

In Reply to: Finally an answer. posted by Fall Guy from pool0202.cvx40-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (216.244.42.202) on Saturday, August 03, 2002 at 8:28pm :

: : : Micah,
: : ...like Allen Ginsburg, Gary Snyder and Jack Kerouac. The list that I gave was nothing more than a slice of the 50's as I remember it. Really FG, you assume a hell of alot sometimes. Let me go ahead and say what I personally like about the 30's and 40's so you can get a good nights' sleep. First of all you and I both know that every era has it's own evils as well as good points. With that being said, let me say that what I find attractive about that period is the lack of laws that protect us from ourselves. I liked the mentality of the folks back then as compared to now. At heart, I despise a goverment that legislates morality along with laws that prohibit stupidity. While this era had it's shortcomings, personal freedom for most of us was much greater than it is today. We didn't have the social engineers at work meddling in lives. The hardship of the depression years actually brought folks together in my neck of the woods, and they helped one another. We cared more for one another. At the end of the day, what really matters is not air conditioning and faster cars. What matters is honesty and honor. I think it was more prevalent in the 30's. Fedora

: Of course I'm presuming things based on what has been said (in context of what has been said before by the same individual). Everybody does. That's why I think it's a good idea to be specific. So I really appreciate your reply. Of course, I don't really agree with some of it, as I'm not so sure that people had more freedom then than they have now. It all depends on your point of view and what your personal l circumstances would have been. In order to really know how it would have been for you, you would have had to live in that era. Sure, you can imagine that you would have been a bush-whacking adventurer or debonair globetrotter, but you may as well have been a shi*t-out-of luck dirt farmer with nothing to feed your family.
: FG
: :
: :

Sometimes you argue for the sake of arguing, or is it the colossal ego you seem to be cursed with? FG, either you have no relatives who can remember this era, you don't read history, or both. I can see how you come up with some of your opinions, but this one leaves me scratching my head. I must then assume that you apparently hang out here for the chaos you seem to "get off" on, and could care less about anything else. Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com