Saving Ryan's Privates

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KyleS from ? (209.191.163.10) on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 at 11:38am :

In Reply to: Don't forget "The Patriot"! posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from edtntnt9-port-194.dial.telus.net (161.184.200.194) on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 at 3:27am :

Yes, THE PATRIOT does have a wonderful score to a very entertaining film.

SPR, on the other hand I found to be a bore. Don't get me wrong, I think the opening invasion of Normandy is absolutely phenominal. (That opening sequence should be shown in every history class.) But the rest of the film was just too over done and sappy for me. Especially the extremely lame Arlington book end sequences. Williams' score is tedious and useless. This movie would have been even more effective without any music with the exception being "Hymn to the Fallen" being played during the end titles. "Hymn the Fallen" is a beautiful piece and the only redeeming feature on an otherwise dull album. But my opinion of this film is in the minority so don't take it personally.

-Kyle

: I thought John Williams did a great job for that one too among his current films.

: I think he's always been in his prime, and he ALWAYS comes through for Spielberg. Whether Spielberg is at the top of his game or directing the odd blunder, I always feel John Williams delivers well on the score. Probably the strongest affection for any Williams era would be the late 70's to early 90's since that was when SW, IJ, Close Encounters, E.T., Superman, etc. were all getting made and those themes are just unforgettable in my eyes (or ears, rather ;)).

: And as a side note, his score for Saving Private Ryan never fails to get teardrops flowing from my eyes everytime I watch the movie.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com