Good points

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Belosch from ppp-206-170-6-55.rdcy01.pacbell.net (206.170.6.55) on Saturday, August 10, 2002 at 0:23am :

In Reply to: And that's what I don't like about Spielberg. posted by Fall Guy from pool0318.cvx40-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net (216.244.43.63) on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 at 2:23am :

Spielberg can falter badly when he gets caught up in treacly sentimentality (the blue fairy sequence was downright PAINFUL). But now and then he succeeds, like in the epilogue of Schindler's List, where the scene at the grave was filmed with tasteful restraint. He simply took the actors, which were previously filmed in perfect camera angles, lighting, etc., and placed them humbly, unobtrusively, alongside the actual survivors THEMSELVES. It was that understatement that made the scene so emotionally soaring (for me, anyway).
Your also DEAD-ON about SPR, where, after the first extraordinary 30 minutes, there's a feeling of "air being let out of a balloon." It feels like "Now we got a bunch of guys standing around the cliffs of Normandy, and we better get a STORYLINE goin'!" And the resulting story is SO conventional compared with what came before.
It's also true that Spielberg EXCELS at dynamic, kinetically exciting action sequences ("Duel," anyone?"). As a point of comparison, though I WORSHIP Peter Jackson's achievement in bringing LOTR to the big (and now small) screen, I don't think his action sequences are as strong as Spielberg is capable of, In the Indy films, the "calling card" is the action, whereas in LOTR, during a couple action scenes I was waiting to get on to the next part. Still a great movie, though. And Spielberg, despite his flaws, is still a great director at his best.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com