I've got to admit...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 3:29pm :

In Reply to: Re: ToD is my least favorate of the trilogy, but I dont hate it posted by Reggie from cache-ra08.proxy.aol.com (152.163.188.8) on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 5:25pm :

...at every screening I attended in '84, and it didn't matter if it was Lexington, Ky, or Boston, Mass., everytime the scene came up with the mine car jumping the track, only to land on the other side ALWAYS brought groans of disbelief from the crowd, and not from amazement, but more of 'ah, come on!' Oh well, it was summer movie entertainment, and was enjoyed as such. But then I liked both of the Richard Chamberlin take-offs too, so what do I know. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

: : I actually prefer ToD over LC, as it's so much darker than the other two. I agree with the point that's been brought before that it doesn't quite "feel" like an Indy film...and I think that that probably stems from the fact that there are so few references to the time period it takes place in....I mean, the mood, settings, etc are kind of foreign to a period adventure piece. But man, some of you REALLLLLY hate it!
: : Raiders, for me, feels gritty, and sort of feels as if the filmakers had a bunch of good ideas as opposed to a bunch of money (even though technically they did), and LC simply feels contrived. I wish LC would've been made about 5 years prior to when it actually was....might have felt a bit more dangerous. But ToD feels...hmmm...strange? Out of the norm ( as far as Indy films go)....I don't like the removed feeling so much as the danger aspect. In Raiders, Indy really relied on his wit and training - so to speak.
: : In ToD, he was WAAAYYY out of his element....

: : Anyway, some stream of thought stuff regarding ToD....

: : Jimmie

: Raiders had strong reference to the time period. 1936 the Nazis were having their campaign in N. Africa. I look at Indy as being a secret agent in that film because he was hired by the Army Intelegence. LC was even a stronger reference to the time. We got to see him in a suit more than in LC, we heard some period music, and saw more cars than in any other Indy film. The 1938 time setting was a briliant idea I think because Germany invaded Poland in 1939 thus starting WWII. ToD didn't have as much ties with the 1935 setting. If it wasn't for the two cars and the Ford Tri-Motor I wouln't have known it was 1935 if it didn't say so. For me what cheapened ToD wasn't its darker image, but silly things like jumping from a plane in a raft, slide down a mountain then fall off a cliff into a raging river. The voodo doll was cheesy and wasn't very original. Also, cutting the bridge (and surviving!) was a bit far fetched. Other than the issues I mentioned, it was a great film and its darker feel was great. Also note these differences of Raiders and Crusade from Temple: In LC and Raiders, he was working for someone. ToD was entirely up to him. He chose it. -Reggie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com