Douglas DC-3

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Reggie from cache-ra08.proxy.aol.com (152.163.188.8) on Thursday, September 05, 2002 at 6:37pm :

Over this past summer I have been volunteering at the McChord Air Museum at McChord Air Force Base near Tacoma Washington. (Yes I'm an Air Force brat.) They got a C-47 out there in the lot. It is really neat to see a kind of plane Jones flew in in person. The C-47 is a military version of the DC-3. This particular C-47 is painted olive drab and it features WWII D-Day stripes on the bottom of the wings. I was amazed at the many roles the DC-3 had. In the 1930's it was an airliner (as we saw in Raiders and Last Crusade) and it served as a bomber before the Liberator and Flyingfortress showed up. In WWII it transported paratroopers and it towed the military gliders. It was used for freight for both the military and civilian use. In the Vietnam War, it was used as a gunship. On of the famous gunships was called "Spooky". In Remote areas, it is still used as a airliner. Amazing plane that DC-3.
-Reggie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com