It was a... misunderstanding

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from adsl-81-175-249.mcn.bellsouth.net (65.81.175.249) on Monday, October 21, 2002 at 0:04am :

In response to a message written by The Graduate on Thursday, June 20, 2002 (see below)

>>Newsradio was a show about the rudeness of people. The character that she plade was one of the rudest and most annoying characters on the show. It is blasphemy to even consider her as a love intrest to Indy.<<

NewsRadio (with a capital 'R'), is, in fact, NOT a show about the rudeness of people. While it is, admittedly, a very misunderstood program, which more than one person has criticized as being mean-spirited, it is hardly about rudeness. In fact, can you personally justify a more useless purpose for entertainment than the open acclamation of bad manners? [with the exception of the NIM Rebellion website, which I would scarcely dare to ascribe the term 'entertaining,' lest I inavertedly heighten its worthless, practically nonextant status]
While some indication of cruelty may occasionally surface in the show, it is not intended to be mean or spiteful in any way, shape, or form. Any perceived sense of maliciousness can be dismissed in the name of humor, as NewsRadio is an original, brilliant work of situational comedy that remains unrivaled to this day. For a complete, unflinching analysis of its true perfection, please see the comprehensive article at http://newsradioart.tripod.com
That aside, I believe the critics are referring to one character in particular, that of Bill McNeal, who is arguably the most abrasive personality of the ensemble. But his sharp wit and egocentrical attitude are what made him so hilarious. Lisa probably described him best when she said: "You’re going to go, and you’re going to be great. And you know why? Because you are Bill McNeal, the most pompous, overbearing, self-centered, cocky bastard I have ever met in my entire life."
With regards to the public display of outrage at my implication that Sophia could be a love interest for Indy, it might surprise you to learn that she WAS. For more on this, you might try playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and maybe read the Dark Horse graphic novelization for good measure while you're at it. To be fair, I must clarify that I was talking about SOPHIA HAPGOOD as a possible girlfriend to our hero in the fourth Indiana Jones movie, not BETH, who is a character on NewsRadio. I can see how it might be easy for an ignorant, undiscerning person to confuse the two redheads, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Finally, in defense of my favorite actress, Ben wouldn't know a REAL woman if she stripped him to his Jockeys and made him stand all night in the rain. Also, for those curious as to why I've taken the time to come back and write this effusive rebuttal after so many months, it is mainly because I'm bored right now and I don't have anything better to do. Besides, I enjoy a good spat of digital mudslinging as much as the next person. That's all I have to say on the matter, and I will leave it at that.

Yours truly,
-Dale Dassel

P.S.- I find it remarkable that a person who can spell 'blasphemy' correctly, is able to completely and utterly screw up the word 'played'.

P.S.S.- On an unrelated note, for those who think that we Indiana Jones gearheads are overly obsessive about our hobby, at least we can AFFORD it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com