Re: Thanks for putting me straight!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 07, 1999 at 13:37:29:

In Reply to: Thanks for putting me straight! posted by Satipo on January 07, 1999 at 12:20:47:

:
: : :
: : : : If anyone is looking for the Midwest Quality Gloves model 850, the closest I have found on the web is at the QVC shopping site (www.qvc.com). They stock Midwest gloves and have the 850VL model, but only in large. Just do a product search for "Midwest Quality Gloves" or "Midwest Gloves" on this site and you'll see a list of all the Midwest gloves that they stock.

: : : : No time to argue! Throw me the idol, I throw you the whip.
: : : : Adios senior...

: : : : Satipo

: :
: : : I forgot to mention that the QVC product code for the 850VL model is V76530. The web address for the QVC page containing details of these gloves, including a picture of them, is:-

: : : http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?tpl=detail&frames=n&from=se&item=V76530

: : : The link I have included will take you straight there (hopefully). The only problem is that you need to join QVC before you can buy anything from them. However, this can be done online, and I think its free.

: : : Adios.

: : : Satipo

: : : P.S. I have recently heard from another online supplier who says that he can provide the model 850 in Medium as well as Large sizes. I've just asked him to confirm whether it is the 850 model or the 850VL model he is talking about (I originally asked about the 850 model, but at this stage there seems to be uncertainty on the Forum as to whether the 850 model actually exists). More news when I have it.

: : : P.P.S. I am new to the Forum and have been tracking down the model 850 gloves ever since I read about it in Indy's Diggs (about a week ago), but previous postings have suggested that the Raiders gloves may have been the Wells Lamont 'grips' model. Can somebody tell me where the original information about the Raiders gloves came from and also explain why there are now doubts as to which company made and supplied them for the film.

: : : Many thanks,

: : : Satipo
: : Good afternoon. This has been a long running discussion regarding the gloves. Old writings on the "making ofs" the movie stated that Ford didn't have a pair assigned him in England as they did the Well of Souls scenes, and he just borrowed a pair from a grip that worked on the set, and kept them. Suppliers for the industry have been Wells Lamont and Midwest, and both companies have supplied the industries for years. There have been reports of traces of sales to Paramount back to Midwest at this time period, but Wells Lamont have the same paper trail, so no one actually KNOWS for sure which gloves, or for that fact IF EITHER of these were the actual gloves used, as he could have borrowed a pair of gloves that were of British production, considering the Well of Souls set was in England. Popular opinion has held the Midwest gloves to be the ones that were used. Being in the business, I have never seen Midwest cataloged in anything that crosses my desk, but Wells Lamont is in every one I have. I personally support the Wells Lamont theory. Anyway you jump, though, you're right because we will probably NEVER know. I'd purchase what ever looks correct, and heck with the manufacturer. I think the Midwest and Wells Lamont are to pricey on the QVC listing, as I can purchase the same Wells Lamont at my local Walmart for 5 dollars cheaper, and not have to pay the additional shipping. Regards. Michaelson

:
: Good afternoon Michaelson. Thanks for putting me straight on the gloves issue. I have a local hardware store that supplies Wells Lamont gloves, but they do not seem to have names for the models such as 'grips'. Could you please tell me the model number of the 'grips' model and also give me a description of the colour and general appearance of the gloves, so I can go and check if the store has any.

: Many thanks for your prompt reply,

: Satipo

Go to your QVC site and type in Wells Lamont glove. The unlined drivers gloves with the elastic wrist band is very good choice, to my eye. I believe the model number there is the one you want. I've seen the buckskin version mentioned the most, but to my eye it doesn't look like the right color. Like I said, anything you do will be right. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]