My take on the subject?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 1:56pm :

In Reply to: And where is Patterson and Michaelson? I'd like to hear their take...(NM) posted by Jimmie from evrtwa1-ar8-4-65-016-050.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net (4.65.16.50) on Thursday, October 10, 2002 at 6:27pm :

To tell you the truth, I try not to read a whole lot into the creation of the character or story in this type of discussion. Indy was created from the fertile mind of George Lucas, who wanted to see a movie made in a B movie/serial format. With the input of Spielberg, he created the Ark storyline, and the rest was fleshed out using script and storyboard. Each following movie attempted to follow up, but not copy the first. I see danger in playing armchair quarterback 21 years after the fact myself. I've never really been a big fan of attempting to flesh out a fictional character to the point that all mystery or questions are answered about that character. You kind of get to the point 'who cares' when a new adventure is suggested, as everyone begins to cross reference it to such and such a story that took place in Dark Horse comic issue 17B, September 1989 (you get my drift) that flies in the face of the newly suggested story. To try and read what Indy's deep religious experiences would be, or thought process was is kind of moot, as he is a product of fiction, and a very good imagination. I hope we don't dissect Indy out of existance. Those are my thoughts at the moment, and have been for quite a few years, come to think of it. Regards. Michaelson

: : ...and I have absolutely zilch to try to say otherwise. I was working on the established remarkes, mannerisms, etc...I had wondered myself a couple of times why he didn't more readily accept things, given the course of ToD and Raiders, and even the YIJC's....

: : Here's something I just thought of......maybe, in Raiders, that crack was his way of hiding his FEAR. I mean, as I said above, if I'd just lived through all of that the year before, maybe I'd be scared silly.
: : Also, I'm not much of an historian, but from what I understand, that period was sort of a "manly" period for men. Marcus, being the older, wiser father figure, is trying to sort of impart his wisdon through the use of advice, where Indy simply puts on a "tough face" to hide his fear and concern that going after the Ark, no matter the significance, might turn out to be another ToD. Hmmmm....

: : Man, this discussion has really set me to wondering on the true motivations of our favorite hero!

: : Later,
: : Jimmie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com