Another Indy-linguistic mystery solved.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from WCS3.NORFOLK.NIPR.MIL (198.26.132.99) on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 11:03am :

A few nights ago, a buddy had me over at his place for a traditional Iranian meal, which was so tasty, I can't remember what the main dish was called. Joining us at the low table as we all sat cross-legged on the deck was my friend's neighbor, an fellow from India.
Between chews, he I and discussed many things; from the miracle that India still exists as a country at all, my adopted daughter in the most populated desert in the world (northwest India), what great fools the leaders of his country and Pakistan have been, and ultimately, after he noticed the Fedora hanging by the door, we came around to the Temple of Doom.
I remembered earlier when I had posted that whatever Belloq was speaking before the opening of the Ark was no sort of Hebrew that a trained linguist could vouch for, someone else had replied that the good folks of the Maypore village were also not speaking Hindi. I asked my tablemate this, and indeed; what the folks were speaking was something from Sri Lanka (starts with a "T," and I have never heard of it before then).
However, when I tried a few phonetic pronunciations on him, we were really getting somewhere.
When Indy lobs the rock at the Giant Thuggee, his line was to the effect of "Ja-lim! Ja-lig-a-lo!" (just a jaligalo, life goes on without him). This came out to "Listen up! Move it, hurry!" Talking to the rest of the boys, I guess. Hindi indeed.
I then tried out the monolouge Indy recited as he and Mola Ram fought over the bag with the Stones in while hanging from the wrecked bridge.
He clued me in that it translates to "You spoke blasphemy in the name of Shiva, you still speak blasphemy in the name of Shiva--You've betrayed Shiva!!" More sound Hindi.
Wow, and all these years, I thought it was just random Harrison Ford noise.
Heh, I sure pick cool people to hang out with.
Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com