Invincible, invulnerable, infallible and never a hair out of place.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hazelton from ? (208.229.128.26) on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 at 5:21am :

In Reply to: ...and lithic- L I T H - I C...(multiple choice) posted by 3thoubucks from host-66-81-123-148.rev.o1.com (66.81.123.148) on Monday, November 18, 2002 at 2:38am :

I remember that from the first time I saw the movie in '81. I think that it's in there because Spielberg and Ford didn't want Indy to be Roger Moore's James Bond: an always-right know-it-all smart-ass who can save the world while holding a delicious babe in one hand while sipping yet not spilling a perfectly-prepared vodka martini in the other, tearing off ironic eulogies and one-liners all the while; and never a hair out of place. In this scene (which was contradicted in the later movies) we see that Indy is a bit absent-minded (he gets lost in the middle of writing the word "neolithic") and brought up all standing by the outrageous flirtations of a female student in his class. (You can see it knock him off his train of thought in the scene.) So apparently when he's not dealing with villainous French grave-robber arch-enemies or disreputable South American mercenaries or headhunting tribesmen or confidently and competently wending his way through the ingenious and deadly traps built into a prehistoric treasury, he's a bit bumbling, distracted and vague. He's flummoxed by his female students' "I LOVE YOU" written on her eyelids. It's funny. It makes him both more and less impressive. You realize that when it comes to going to dig sites and "handlin' his bidniss," that he's a real stud; when it comes to doing anything dull and civilized, you're not quite so sure. It sets up good suspense for later when he has to militate against the machinations of the Nazis.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com