Re: Wested Jacket

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 08, 1999 at 11:53:56:

In Reply to: Wested Jacket posted by Groo on January 08, 1999 at 11:38:54:

: I had been searching for about 15 years to find an exact copy of the coat worn by Harrison Ford in Raiders. I have purchased many "close" reproductions, the best of which was in Italy while I was in the USAF. The only problem, besides shelling out around $300.00 for a coat, is that I have had bad experiences with lambskin jackets, my G.I. issue A-2 is proof of that. The leather, although pleasing to the eye and less cumbersome than cowhide, simply is not robust enough for some of the activities I like to enjoy - hunting, fishing, skiing; one errant move and your lambskin jacket is torn to shreds. The coat I purchased in Italy was about $150.00 and made from cowhide. It was weathered and I figured it would wear out fast, but it was the best copy I had ever seen. It has the dual-entry patch pockets and the side waste straps. Well here it is, 6 years later and my coat is still in great shape considering the punishment and abuse. It may be time to purchase a new one, but I am still leary of the lambskin, despite what I have seen posted here. I have owned 7 leather "Indy" coats and the Italian jacket is my favorite by far. The only hurdle now is convincing my wife that I need to spend another $300.00 on an Indy related item. Maybe I should wait until my birthday....maybe.
: Pondering the possiblities Regards,
: Groo
I understand the problems. I wore a cowhide A-2 for about 16 years, hunting too, and you're right, it held up great. This jacket has surprised me by how puncture resistant it is. Things I used to shy away from with my A-2, this jacket has not had the least bit of problems. Anyway, I'm sure pleased. By the way, if you come up with a successful "sell" on the money part with your spouse, please share your secret. That can be as big a challenge as anything Indy has attempted to date! You and I both know we need this stuff, but they don't quite accept the concept! Take care. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]