Interesting stuff...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aragorn from val-hs1-028.inetnebr.com (206.222.219.156) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 7:12pm :

In Reply to: Re: believe it or not... posted by Calixar from id-couerdalene2d-16.cdalid.adelphia.net (24.53.226.16) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 6:02pm :

I have a very nice biography on Tolkien that I bought two years ago (it was a recently written book at the time, I'm certain)... Pretty much everything I know about the man comes from that. The author actually knew Tolkien, though not as a close friend (they'd had conversations from time to time... I imagine he'd interviewed him more than once for different reasons).

Anyway, now that you mention it I think I remember reading about the Numenor incident. Also, I recall finding out that Tolkien didn't like Lewis's "Narnia" books because he didn't like the way they 'retold' the events that started Christianity. I find this strange, because if you ask me "The Lord of the Rings" is filled with symbolic imagery and a not-so-deeply hidden retelling of the story of Christ's life (though admittedly, I see Him in the story through different aspects of the characters of Frodo (bearer of the weight of evil/sin), Gandalf (glorified after his ressurection), and of course Aragorn, the King returning to reclaim his kingdom.

I guess things got a little nasty between Lewis and Tolkien when Lewis married his wife (she was divorced and as a Catholic Tolkien objected to Lewis's desire to marry her). It's my understanding that things were never quite the same after that.

As for Williams... I don't recall him being mentioned in the book at all! I'm interested now in finding out more.

Peace of Christ,

Aragorn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com