Re: Interesting stuff...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Calixar from id-couerdalene2d-16.cdalid.adelphia.net (24.53.226.16) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 9:07pm :

In Reply to: Interesting stuff... posted by Aragorn from val-hs1-028.inetnebr.com (206.222.219.156) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 7:12pm :

: Also, I recall finding out that Tolkien didn't like Lewis's "Narnia" books because he didn't like the way they 'retold' the events that started Christianity.

Well, mostly, Tolkien didn't like allegory. He prefered straight up storytelling.
That said, he did have obvious parallels in Middle Earth to Biblical things. The wizards, for instance, are not human or elves... so what are they? According to Christopher Tolkien, in one of the History of Middle Earth books (I forget which) they are a type of angel (comparable to the "watchers" from the Book of Enoch in Hebrew "mythology").

: I find this strange, because if you ask me "The Lord of the Rings" is filled with symbolic imagery...

Isn't it, though? There's a great little book out that I think you'd like, from the sound of you... It's "Finding God in the Lord of the Rings" by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware In about 115 pages they manage to get a good breakdown of what's-what in the LotR.

: As for Williams... I don't recall him being mentioned in the book at all! I'm interested now in finding out more.

Track down a copy of "The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien." You'll find Williams played only a small rôle in his life (16 mentions in 432 pages)... but you get a great look at how he thought and felt about a lot of things, because many of the letters are personal (some written to his sons).

Pax Deum Vobiscum
-Mikal C Johnson, SE KtCym KStI

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com