Silly me...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ~The Raider~ from ppp-ip237-s02.inetnorth.net on January 08, 1999 at 19:22:44:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks... posted by Michaelson on January 07, 1999 at 07:36:58:

: :
: : : :
: : : : : : : I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to dye a grosgrain band. If so, how? My band seems to have worn the colour out pretty well.

: : : : : : : Also, does anyone know the concepts involved in dyeing felt? I mean, is it easy/possible, does it depreciate the quality, and how would the grosgrain band take it? And how would black dye on brown felt work? The hat I have is fur felt, does that make a difference?

: : : : : : : I know there are some pros out there, answer please.

: : : : : : It is entirely possible to dye grosgrain ribbon, but I wouldn't do it unless you've got extra to experiment with. I sent some of my Catherine Delaney ribbon to Hatworks in Virginia (the folks who installed the Hyman Hendler ribbon on my first Herbert Johnson fedora last year, and who more recently worked with Michaelson to customize a fedora for him). They are very good (Jackie was the who dyed my ribbon and it came out great!). Likewise goes for the furfelt-I would ask them at Hatworks if it is possible. Phone number for Hatworks in Norfolk, VA: (757) 625-4287.

: : : : : : Greg

: : : : : Just as an additional bit of information, I haven't posted anything regarding my project due to the fact that the Hatworks folks have been plagued with several major illness problems in their family. My hat hasn't been a front burner project for me, and I relayed that to them in several very informative and friendly phone conversations with Karen. As soon as they get back on the rails, we'll get rolling again on this project. I heartly agree with Greg's recommendation on the Hatworks and their fine folks. Nicest people I've dealt with to date. Regards. Michaelson

: : : : I was wondering if you knew how one would go about removing and replacing a grosgrain band. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I ordered my hat from the Lucasarts company store when it still handled merchandise. It is a fur felt, but the grosgrain band is losing most of it's colour, especially in the front where it seems to have come loose. How would I go about fixing this? Or would it save a lot af greif by raising about 100 bucks and ordering the famous Herbert Johnson version and starting with one that will fit me in the next 2 years?

: : : : ~The Raider

: : : Good afternoon, Raider! Well, I know that Greg has a lot more "hands on" experience concerning the actual removal and reinstallation of the bands. I am currently involved in my own project with the company the Hatworks, who by the way informed me just yesterday that my hat is finished, they're just trying to pull together all the information they can to aid an individual, such as yourself, who may want to obtain a good hat formed in the true Indy style, and for FAR less that the famout Herbert Johnson. If you're satisfied with your old fedora, and want to just bring it back to life, I would suggest contacting the Hatworks folks and talk to them as to your wants and concerns, and see what they can do for you. I'll have prices with the report I finally give, but I'll say that to date they are VERY reasonable to my taste, in comparing them with companies in other locations I've dealt with. If you're thinking that your hat is ready to go into the collection to look at, not wear (I have 3 of those myself), then you might want to wait to see my report as to the obtaining a new fedora and having the Hatworks folks reblock and re-ribbon to what ever Indy movie style you're looking for. I'm having mine done in the Last Crusade style, as seen at the very beginning of the movie before it gets weathered in use. I'll weather it myself with my OWN usage. I would also contact Greg directly off line and see what further aid he may give you, as I said, as he has actually been experimenting with his own fedoras, and has had the ribbon dyed by the Hatworks folks for his project. Hope this helps give you a direction. If you need any more, email me off line. I love talking shop. Regards. Michaelson

: : All I'd like to know at this point is where Hatmaker's is located. I'm still debating retiring the old thing, or just letting it stay weathered and wear it on the farm. A bit of a waste of 80 bucks though...

: : ~The Raider

: Read Greg's posting in this string. The location and phone number is there. Regards. Michaelson

I read that before, should remembered it. Aren't there any places a bit closer to home for me, like maybe in Washington, Idaho, Montana, or even in Canada just to make it cheaper for me? (buying another hat is looking better and better to me, anyway.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]