Immortality.......

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from pcp416801pcs.martnz01.ga.comcast.net (68.47.38.123) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 at 5:10pm :

If you're reading this post, you've probably read my schtick on the concept before, so I'll spare you guys. I'm not entirely sure why I'm sharing this one in the first place, but since most of you good folks and I have never met, I guess there's no harm in it.

I have found what I believe is the closest thing to immortality that I could hope for (or would want; the only part that really matters).

My memory isn't all it used to be (I blame it on getting too many good knocks to the noggin; "OWF!! Goodbye, piano lessons!"), but I think that I may have offhandedly mentioned that I have adopted/sponsored foster kids overseas. Basically, I can't change the world, but I can make a serious difference, and I do make enough to carry my own weight and some of someone else's. At any rate, the company that mediates this for me (Childreach is the name--they're some of the most reputable ones out there) has a fairly new brainstorm called the "Endowed Sponsorship"--this stipulates, that for a pretty hefty one time donation, you set in motion a fund that will continue to adopt and sponsor some poor kid somewhere long after you are dead and gone; with the interest it generates being sufficient.

Now THAT is very cool by me.

The way I figure it, I think that I can manage to save enough to set up a new one each year around the holidays. If I actually do live to collect social security, well hey--that may be an entire Maypore Village of children spared from the likes of the Thuggees, or worse.

(Heh. Get real, Jake.)

One thing my father taught me is that for something to be a true act of charity, you keep your "pie hole" shut about it. Well, here's an exception to the guideline, just in case a few of my fellow fans might find it cool that Indy can even help inspire something like this.

The fun can be named in honor of whomever/whatever you wish. This year (just to get it out of the system), we begin with "The Princess Jasmine, Rock and Roll, Good Guys Will Win" Fund. I've promised the company that if I make it to next Christmas, I'll start naming them in memory of people that I want to one day see again. Starting, I think, with my dog.

Lot of fond memories of that dog.......

If nothing else, this was a major dent in the plans and schemes of the Holiday Blues Fairy for this kid. And if anyone remembers my sentiment on that "So This Is Christmas" tune, it really helped the soul to stand up to that bit about "What Have You Done?"

If any of you know of a band by the name of MANOWAR (bless you if you do), they have another lyric that has haunted me for a long time; to the effect of "Only Courage and Heroism Linger After Death."

Food for thought. And here's hoping.

Again, Merry Everything, guys. Thanks for bearing with the ramblings of this wayward kid again.

Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com