Marion's return: should it be a cameo or something more?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam McDaniel from cache-rp07.proxy.aol.com (152.163.189.172) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 at 9:22pm :

Personally, I think Marion's return would not only be welcome, but ideal for INDY IV. It gives the characters more of a backstory and adds a dramatic weight to the characters.

I strongly am against the idea of Indy having a twenty-something love interest. It was fine back when the character was in his late thirties, even early forties, but now that Ford is over 60, it would be more believable (and much more interesting) for Indy to be paired with someone middle aged.

Middle aged women are sexy! (Look at Rene Russo for heaven's sake! Katherine Ross, Susan Sarandon, and Rachel Welch were also sexy long after 40...)

Karen Allen still looks beautiful, and Marion was by far the best partner Indy ever had. She was tough, independent, yet vulnerable in a feminine way.

Marion's return, though, shouldn't simply be a retread of their witty banter in RAIDERS. Over 20 years have past, and -- a fact people seem to forget -- PEOPLE CHANGE. The characters should change, too -- as should their interaction and relationship. It would be nice to explore these people after so many years have passed.

I think with INDY IV, it's the YEARS as well as the mileage that make the difference.

Frankly, I'd much prefer to have Allen as a central character than merely a cameo. The latter would, I think, cheapen her in some way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com