my understanding...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aragorn from val-hs2-038.inetnebr.com (206.222.219.214) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 at 7:26pm :

In Reply to: Actually... posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net (216.102.199.185) on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 9:24am :

... my understanding is that at various times the Bishops of the other great cities of the ancient world fell into heresy. For example the Patriarch of Constantinople, together with a number of other Eastern churches, came to believe in the claim of Monophysitism, which claims that Christ had only one nature... that of God, while only "pretending" to be human. The belief of Rome and the other churches, however, was the belief that Christ had two natures, being simultaneously human and divine at the same time.

This was the cause of the falling out, though of course none of the Eatern Churches believe in Monophysitism today. I honestly don't know why there wasn't a reunification after the heresy died out (I don't believe it even lasted all that long), but it is a shame.

Pax,

Aragorn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com