Let's agree to disagree.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from user-2ivev24.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.124.68) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 at 7:01am :

In Reply to: Re: Not meaning to start anything, but... posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 at 2:29am :

The P-39 was developed in the late 30s when the Air Corps realized it needed a design to act as a bomber interceptor. Hence the heavy cannon in her nose; it was meant for shooting down the tough-as-nails bombers some Axis countries had developed. Though in the end, it turned out to be more useful in the tank destroying capacity that marked the P-39's career. For more info, check out "Aircraft of World War II: A Visual Encyclopedia" (Sharpe, Scutts and March), page 392. Another good source is "Deadly Sky: The American Combat Airman in World War II" by John McManus, which cites numerous interviews with the Air Corps pilots. If you haven't read it, I think you might enjoy it, although McManus' approach to history is a tad scattershot...A good British source is Mondey's "American Aircraft of World War II." It's nice to see the Brits give a little credit to the guys from the 8th Air Force. :)
As for the P-40, I think the stats you cite are more a testament to the ability of pilots of the AVG, rather than the Warhawk. Just imagine if they'd been equipped with the P-38!
Anyhow, I apologize if I've been at all snotty and/or snooty in this thread, Rundquist. I've really enjoyed talking planes around here; I don't get a chance to do that often enough! We may have our differences of opinion, but it's nice to discover a fellow aero-nut.
Tally-ho!
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com