Re: Interesting post

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James Michal from spider-wc062.proxy.aol.com on January 16, 1999 at 18:39:24:

In Reply to: Interesting post posted by Michaelson on January 16, 1999 at 15:49:44:

: : This is my first time visiting this site being that I'm still relatively new to the internet(only about 3 months). I'm posting right off the bat due to a major concern that I, and I believe, many open DVD fans have in regards to how Mr. Spielburg is releasing his titles in the, still in it's early childhood stage, digital format.
: : Those of you reading this be forewarned that unless you are open DVD supporters you may find this post boring, irrelevant or possibly upsetting.

: : I want to state up front that I'm very pleased with Dreamwork's intial releases(I was so impressed with "Deep Impact" after RENTING it from my local Blockbuster that the day after seeing it,I purchased the disc to add to my rapidly growing collection and after seeing the "Peacemaker" in the same manner this will probably also be added.I'm also starting to rent online from Netflix.). But the backbone of this format(open DVD) is going to come from popular "classic" titles like: The Indy trilogy, Jaws, Jurrasic Park, E.T., etc.. All those titles which are rightfully under Mr. Spielburg's control and could help DVD to reach it's inevitable mass market acceptance.

: : But there's a fly in the ointment and it's name IMO is divx. If,patient reader, you have gotten this far in my post then I'm going to assume that you have some familiarity with this "proclaimed" feature of DVD(IMO divx IS a seperate format). Now divx, in and of itself, is not a "bad" thing. It does offer some convienence and short term software cost control. But it has the potential to be used as a tool by studios to make owning a personal copy of a movie immpossible or unrealistically expensive. The divx system, if given exclusive titles, will make it very easy for studios and individuals like Mr. Spielburg to demand payment each and every time their intellectual properties are viewed, even in our own homes.

: : To those who have not yet committed to either format for whatever reason, but are planning to make the jump to THE best way to watch movies at home= Open DVD, please consider this. Until ALL released titles are handled in a fair market fashion(ie. equal availability to to rent open DVD(with sometime in near-future sell-through)and "purchase" divx at the SAME time:day&date release rental "window" model-a pain in the a**, but IMO palletable) then I would ask that all concerned consumers(regardless of what titles are released) NOT support the divx feature. Otherwise the pay per use model may make owning personal copies of copyrighted products to use in a legal, responsible manner a thing for history books.

: : Now I'm gonna try something that's probably a foolish waste of time and "mental" energy and make myself look like an a**, but I feel so strongly about the ideas that I am going to try to express that I just have to make the attempt.

: : To Mr. Spielburg,
: : In the off-hand, miniscule chance that somehow you actually read this, I wanted to express my belief of fair and full compensation for an artist's intellectual properties.

: : First I do want to state, up front, that I have immense respect for your achievements in progressing the art of cinema to new and higher levels. I doubt that many, if any of today's films would have the entertainment, emotional, and intellectual impact that they currently have without you and your peers(Mr. Lucas,Mr. Cammeron,and several others- you get my gist) pioneering efforts and vision. Though not anywhere near your or those previously mentioned's level of accomplishment, I do consider myself to also be an artist, giving me some degree of empathy.

: : I am a semi-active practicing karateka with 15+ years experience of performing, refining and teaching of my chosen art.A martial art which has given me, through a combination of lessons from my "elders" and personal experience over the years, "intellectual property" that I choose to make available to those that want me to share it. And share it I have with the justifiable expectation of compensation. But this payment has come in many forms, largely from the actual process of performing and teaching my art with and to others.

: : Now, I believe that regardless of what medium an artist decides to work in; be it paint, clay, film, physical expression or anything the individual is trying to achieve a mastery of, the artist has a responsibility to make his art not unreasonably difficult for his fellow man to have the opportunity to appreciate and take part in. How else can one's art hope to evolve, grow and be elevated to it's next level?

: : Now the point I'm trying to make is; your chosen art has a new and markedly better quality method of making itself available to your fellow man in the form of DVD. Speaking for myself, movies, as well as books and music, have all had a part in how I form my personal system of morals and values by the ideas and emotions they have evocted in me.
: : I believe many of my fellow beings,you included, feel the same way. This is why I am so concerned about your only limited support of what I and many believe to be the entertainment format for future generations. Your support alone would go a long way towards insuring that all people, regardless of their economic means, will have the chance to continue to appreciate and take some part in the art of cinema.

: : The divx system, for which I've expressed my feelings and fears for in the above post, would provide you with undeterminable compensation in the form of monetary gain, but as it is currently implemented, I have to ask at what price to mankind? And what price to the art of cinema? You may very well not be of the mind to support the exclusive pay per use model. Since I'm not privy to your business plans and don't presume that I should be I can only assume from your actions and inactions that you are giving more weight to divx, than you are to open DVD at this time.

: : I hope that my assumption is in err. But if not please consider the thoughts and ideas that I felt compelled to attempt to share with you. I don't think many of us in this world get paid what we are truely worth, but that's not the primary motivating force behind an artist practicing their art or a true craftsmen practicing their trade(IMO). The reasons I tried to express above, as well as those beyond my ability to express, are a much bigger factor.

: : In closing I would like to say "Thank you" for what you have done for the art of cinema, now and what I believe you will do in the future. A future that I hope(with your help) will include open DVD.

: : With sincere appreciation and almost insanely foolish hope that this will ever come to your attention,
: : James K. Michal

: : Yes, this question has come up now and again, though not at such length, and as an old crud who still remembers the VHS/Beta wars of old, this format battle will become more and more heated as time goes by. The progress that is being made in new format is actually over running the current crop in store items, and frankly unless you have the spare currency to spend upgrading your systems about every 6 months, it's not a safe bet to invest in anything until the industry gets it's head on straight and recognize that the public "ain't buying in". I'm currently involved in the distance learning industry that is rushing to the internet in terms of course delivery, and though that's the way it appears all distance learning will eventually go, our demand for good old VHS videotape lectures have actually grown over the past year over the new delivery systems. People just can't afford the constant upgrade, only to have it antiquated within months. I'm sure the posturing by the studios will continue regarding what titles will be released on what format, but it's a long way but over yet. Good piece of thought processing. Regards. Michaelson

First I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post.And your reply is something to consider as well. I figure you must be an Indiana Jones fan by you posting pretty frequently on this site.
Well I too am a fan,though probably not as dedicated as you and many of those posting here. But I have to say I'm curious if you've had the opportunity to experience movies in a home theater system of good quality? It can be an awe inspiring experience especially when privacy to respond to the film in an uninhibited manner is factored in. That's one of the reasons I'm so passionate about the DVD/divx format war, since if given the chance divx will take dominance and chances to have these experiences, like running through the cave with Indy in "Raiders", will be radically altered.

One of the things about the A/V industry is that it's becoming more and more like the computer industry. And like upgrading a computer, if the individual does their home-work and becomes knowledgable as to all their options then they can make an informed decision and probably not have to upgrade for 3-5 years.

DVD is growing quickly(just scan some of the online entertainment tech news), largely due to the instant increase in quality of audio/visual playback of excellent non-degrading source material and rapidly dropping cost to consumers and manufactures(open DVD players for as little as 275.00, about the same as a moderate quality VCR). I believe that if given support from industry leaders like Mr. Spielburg, DVD will likely BEGIN to cannibalize VHS in 1-2 years.

Cost to studios to produce discs is about a quarter of the cost to manufacture VHS tapes. But most people will be willing to pay the same for a disc as they are currently paying for tape, so the studios increase their profit margin. That's why all studios are backing DVD(and some are also backing divx,especially Disney, Fox, Paramount, and Mr. Spielburg).

Now this would be fine by me 'cause personally, I'm so satisfied with the DVD format both in quality and cost I can't see upgrading until HDTV and recordable HDVD are put on the market at a close to sane price level(I'm bettin' 4-5 years) with most of the "bugs" worked out. That gives me 4-5 years of top notch movie viewing until I start having to consider reaching for my wallet again (I am putting some away now for that inevitable day).

Again thanks for spending the time and energy "listening" to my subjective opinions and if you Michaelson, or anyone else reading these posts knows of a more effective way of increasing the likelyhood that the ideas presented will reach their intended destination then please let me know. Best wishes to all,
James Michal

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]