Re: Indy Trilogy on divx? (warning-"book"length)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rocky from HRBGB103-42.splitrock.net on January 18, 1999 at 13:54:35:

In Reply to: Indy Trilogy on divx? (warning-"book"length) posted by James Michal on January 16, 1999 at 11:46:16:

Good thoughts James.
Have no fear though. All the reports I have been getting is gearing towards Spielberg wanting a solid base of player sales on which to release his classics on.
As you stated, Spielberg is a business man or his agent is, one or the other if not both. So the way I understand it, he would like around 2 million players sold so he has a good number of people who are going to buy his movies right off the bat, keeping production costs at a minimum. If I understand this correctly (which I may not)
they would rather sell the classics to say 1.5 million people practically right away or within a few months, than say do a production run, sell .25 million, do another production run in a few months, sell another .5 million, and so on. Do one production run, sell a bunch.
I'm not sure if Spielberg is a big fan of DIVX, but I would think he's going to sit back and watch what happens.
Another factor to consider, and I'm starting to hear more and more about it now, is the popularity of DVD is growing much faster than Lasers ever did. This is causing the studios to become concerned with rental business, so it's possible that they will do with DVD, the same they did with VHS. They will do a rental release first, keeping all the rental companies happy, and then 6 to 8 months later release it to sell-through so everybody can enjoy them. Now this may mean it will appear on DIVX first, but will become available to open DVD later as well. And since most DIVX don't have the widescreen or any of the goodies that accompany open DVD, people will buy the movies still on open DVD.
I personally dislike the DIVX idea. I understand what they are trying to do, but this is the wrong way of doing it. And I personally think that DIVX will not affect DVD sales any, except in the fact that people will be able to see the movie first because of rental sales.
Man that sounds confusing. email with questions and I'll see what I can answer. I've been in the video business for about 7 years now with a local Suncoast store, so the info I get, I'm counting on as pretty reliable.
I hope I haven't confused anybody. If I have, I am always open to questions. (Just please understand if the answer is HUH or I don't know)
Later guys
Rocky

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: