Let's recap....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 21, 1999 at 07:39:32:

In Reply to: Re: TOD magic posted by Jiliac the Great on January 20, 1999 at 12:58:53:

: : : : True. However, We're talking specifically Indy's "Don't believe in
: : : : hocus-pocus" stand; and since he (apparently) doesn't realize he's
: : : : being vodooed, that's not and in-your-face magic display.
: : : : Having said that, Short Round could have easily told Indy abt the
: : : : occurrence, but that's a long shot overall.

: : : I only go by the conversation at the end of T of D where the Shaman says to Indy after he returns the stone, "Now you understand the magic of the rock"/ Indy states, "Yes, and the power it possesses." to paraphrase. He states he understands the the magic, he never states he believes. Another criptic moment with our hero. Regards. Michaelson

: : Let's not forget about how the village becomes fertile and alive again after Indy returns the stone.. How do you explain that? "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in you philosophy." :)

: Er...I meant, "your philosophy." :)

Well, ok, in keeping in the spirit of your last statement, "Me thinks you missed my point completely!" If you're trying to show me that there's more to what's supposed to be going on in that last scene, you're preaching to the choir. My point is that Indy NEVER states he "believes". He understands, and learns, but never believes. Sounds odd, I know. I work around PHD academics at a R&D graduate level campus. The professors that are deeply involved in their particular research or field work as odd indeed. They will state categorically that they understand and recognize a fact, but they just don't personally believe that fact to be so. Hummm? I don't follow their logic either. To narrow it down, they would state that they totally believe in a higher being that's in totaly control of everything, but they don't believe in God. Indy is even asked by Donovan in the Last Crusade, "It's time to ask yourself, what do you believe?" Even Indy's father never states he finds satisfaction and belief in the Grail after finding it and being healed by it's power. He only finds illumination. These are characteristics of hard core academics, and only makes the character that much more meaningful to me, because these are the type individuals I deal with every day. Lucas did his research. These guys experience, these guys even prove, but they don't necessarily believe in their own proof, they just move on to the next problem. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]