Batman sequels and Indy - some thoughts and questions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on January 26, 1999 at 06:53:02:

This is nothing important, but it just occurred to me that the first contemporary Batman film was released at the same time as The Last Crusade, back in Summer, 1989. Since then we've been "treated" to 3 Batman sequels and 0 Indy sequels. Doesn't the original Batman seem much older than Last Crusade because of this?

Now granted, none of the follow-ups have been worth much, particularly the last one ("Freeze, Bird-Boy!"), but it seems that part of the key to getting them made was a willingness to switch lead actors and directors.

I know it's been discussed ad infinitum, but I haven't really checked on those posts when I've seen them. Are most of you violently opposed to replacing Ford and Spielberg with someone else? I'm assuming that the overall quality of the film would remain high, and that the new folks involved would do a creditable job. If this were the case, would everybody be up for that? For me, I'd just like to have a new film, regardless of whether Ford and Spielberg were involved or not.

I'm sure there are actors who would do well in the role (Bruce Campbell comes to mind, but certainly there are others). Likewise, I'd bet there are directors who are capable of pulling off an Indy film (say Martin Campbell, the guy who directed Goldeneye and The Mask of Zorro).

Lucas, obviously would have to produce or exec. produce as the character belongs to him.

The bottom line and my final question:
Would you be for or against getting an Indy film if the only way to do so was to go with a different lead and a different director?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]