Re: Is Raiders the best film? I think so.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ~The Raider~ from ppp-ip232-s07.inetnorth.net on January 26, 1999 at 20:20:50:

In Reply to: Re: Is Raiders the best film? I think so. posted by Satipo on January 18, 1999 at 10:35:12:

:
: : I pretty much agree; Raiders was the best. But for more than those reasons.

: : In Raiders, the story was the strongest and the most original. We have the establishment of Belloq as a long-time rival, the first fight with the Nazis, and the little sublties that show how alike the hero and villain are (I think we know the scenes I'm referring to).

: : In the other two, we lack these.

: : In ToD, we have great stunts, hard-hitting action, and awesome effects. Unfortunately, there is a little TOO much action, too much screaming, and not enough breathing room. The storyline is also weaker, not as much political intrigue is involved.

: : In LC, we have the opposite: too MUCH breathing room. But what can you expect; they're all getting a little older. Comedy gets in the way of the intense action, and the storyline has already been visited in Raiders. Although an improvement storywise from ToD, like Maltin says, this one "bears the mark of one too many trips to the well."

: : Don't get me wrong: I love each and every one of the Indyflicks. It's just that Raiders, being the original, the best balance of adventure, romance, sentiment, and characterization, leaves all the rest of the trilogy in the dust.

: : Besides, Raiders had the most (and best) whip stunts.

: : ~The Raider

:
: I have to agree with everything you have said there. I too have many reasons why I prefer Raiders. Marion was easily the most interesting
: female character, and Bellosh, sorry I mean Belloq, was only one of many interesting characters in Raiders. But do you agree with me about the music?

: Satipo

I agree completely. Raiders exlempified adventure, but ToD played little Chinese kid music (I'm not racist, but that's what the music seemed to say) and LC slapstick comedy.

~The Raider

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]