Re: Last Crusade zippo prop

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts2-h1-49-203.ispmodems.net on January 27, 1999 at 00:08:54:

In Reply to: Re: Last Crusade zippo prop posted by Greg on January 26, 1999 at 15:56:11:

: : I looked at my "Best of Lucasfilm Archives" book today, to compare the Zippo being sold here on the Forum (I'm buying one very soon) to the actual prop. It had been a while since I looked, because I didn't realize that the prop wasn't painted white with a clover, but had white plastic cemented on it, with the clover painted onto that(plastic).

: : Has anyone here on the Forum made their own replica this way? I've heard a lot about painting a lighter with acrylic paints to get the effect, but nothing about painting some plastic. Also the shell on the prop was not the same as the "clamshell" design that is popular on zippos now, such as the "lucky" or "luck" clover design, where the plastic shells are two seperate pieces per side, rather than one piece that has been cut in half as on the prop.

: : Hope I've confused everybody! (wish I could post pictures)

: : Also let me say that I really like the Zippo being sold on the forum, and am going to buy one as soon as possible. I'd like to thank Indy Magnoli (sp?) and Jason Hicks for the oppurtunity to buy such a cool collectible. I'm sure that it was quite expensive to print a series of custom lighters, and would have been even more so for a plastic design that does not match any of Zippo's current offerings. I'm glad that the lighter is affordable as well as collectible.

: : I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed the difference .

: : No offense anyone-just askin'
: : John

: I painted an old zippo I had to resemble the clover lighter, using Acrylic enamels and after looking at the photos in the Lucasfilm Arcives book and looking at mine, I am satisfied. You can see that the one for the movie was hand-painted, and so, being artistically-inclined myself, I thought I'd give it a go, and I think it looks authentic (probably more-so than a factory-screened one).

: Greg

I can imagine that it looks authentic, as most of the movie props are kind of rough (not that yours looks bad). I'm always surprised how crude some movie props are. I saw the Star Wars exhibit in San Francisco 4 years ago and looked at alot of the original props and costumes. All but the spaceship models were extremely rough, so much so that you wouldn't even wear them to a convention or something. Well, thats overstating, but I hope you take my meaning.

John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]