And they're off!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on January 27, 1999 at 09:27:55:

In Reply to: Chapter 1 of the 2nd Forum Novel posted by Senor Palomar on January 26, 1999 at 18:33:36:

Good opening! For my own education, is the Heart of Shiva based on any actual East Indian mythology or are we, as the man says, making this up as we go?
walker

: Well - here's Chapter 1.

: CHAPTER ONE

:
: Barnett College, 1950
: Indy stood in his classroom at Barnett College. The small college was just enough for Indy's needs. He had a class, was able to get time off whenever he needed it, and was payed well. Right wow, he was teaching one of his classes.
: "The antichamber had collapsed, due to its ancient condition," Indy explained carefully to his students. His mind was not entirely on teaching his students today, and his mind occasionally wondered off to think of past occurrences, such as his encounter with Nazis. "The treasures had almost been lost, if it were not for..."
: The dissmissal bell rang, and all the students filtered out of the room. As they did, Indy expected his dear friend, Marcus Brody, to be standing by the door. But as Indy looked, he was not there. Marcus had died a year before, and Indy had been moping around for the last two months, recalling his death. His mind stared into the past and it replayed the fateful scene, Marcus getting shot by a Nazi in front of Indy's eyes. Indy's soul cried out with sadness.
: As he recalled the moment, another man stood by the door. He was dressed in a black suit, and was quite stylish. A cigar hung out of the corner of his mouth, righ below the edge of his neatly clipped mustache. He had a cold look to himself, and his slanted eyes did not help much. Indy looked at the man, then asked,
: "Can I help you, mister...?"
: "Actually, you can, Dr. Jones," he replied, and let a sly smile wash over his face. Indy could tell from the man's accent that he was Italian, and he had not met many in his lifetime. "I have a job for you."
: "What?" Indy inquired.
: "It will take time to tell, but I will tell it, Doctor. A long time ago, the people of India recieved a treasure, which they believe came from Heaven, Shiva to be exact."
: Indy's mind flashed to images of Mola Ram and the dark sacrifice, then back to the man.
: "The treasure was a blue stone - the Heart of Shiva. It has been lost for many long years. I, Doctor, am Peter Cianelli. This fabled Heart of Shiva, is what I would pay you get, if you will do so. The Heart, I think, has just been stumbled upon."
: Indy was beginning to understand the whole picture now. It was another treasure-hunt.
: "Mr. Cianelli, I don't want to dissapoint you, but I've can't do the job." Indy frowned at the man. "I am getting older, you know."
: "Fine, Dr. Jones. But just to let you know the price I was willing to pay was one hundred thousand dollars. The offer still stands, Dr. Jones."
: "I'm sorry, but I've got to refuse." Indy didn't know what he was saying, and he knew that too. With that kind of money, you could truely retire, Indy thought. But his mouth stayed shut as Cianelli started to leave.
: "If you change your mind, contact me by phone. My number is (843) 257-9010. I will wait two more days."
: Cianelli left the classroom and didn't bother to close the door on his way out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]