A FEW INDY POINTS.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from ausfire.austin.ppdi.com on January 29, 1999 at 05:38:43:

Hi
I've got quite a few points, so I hope you'll bear with me. I've not really been able to pay too much attention to the forum over the past few weeks as my Grandpa has been very ill and I've had other things on my mind. He's still very ill (he had a massive stroke) but I've decided that it's not helping not following my interests. By the way, thanks Walker - I've got Indy IV and Indiana Jones and the Sword of Arthur scripts coming (doh, bad timing on my part). It's Culloden by the way and if you are coming over, let me know and we'll have a few beers.

Firstly, I'm not sure why everyone thinks that because Lucas is so involved in the new Star Wars trilogy that he won't have time to have any input into the Indy IV project. I mean it's kind of mirroring the situation a few years ago (jeez, by a few years I mean about twenty - that is depressing). However, the first S/W trilogy was intersperesed by two Indy films. Lucas is involved, but not too heavily involved with the Indy flicks (and, apparently, he's also already got the storylines for SW 2 and 3 planned so that doesn't preclude him from Indy IV.)

Secondly on to the Sword of Arthur script - guys, I was impressed by the effort. Some nice touches (especially the Pythonesque Knights). Some of the structuring needed some work - perhaps the 1925 prequel could have been the teaser rather than interspersed throughout the main narrative. Some action sequences were potentially very good. However this script (along with "Sons of Darkness", the fan fiction "Staff of Moses" and various other ideas I have heard of) all suffer from the same ailment in my opinion. Each one has some great parts and ideas - none of them are awful, but they are all far too wrapped up in continuity issues. The biggest problem I had with the flashbacks in the Excalibur idea was the fact that it seemed to want to explain every damned thing. (Belloq, Forrestal, the Ravenwoods, the head piece of the Staff of Ra) this coupled with the explanations of the fates of every Jones character is too much. Some things don't need to be explained. It doesn't matter where Abner got the Headpiece, it doesn't matter when Indy first encountered Belloq etc. Also, each of the scripts etc. seem to want to draw the saga of Indiana Jones to some sort of conclusion (the final film in the series doesn't need Indy retiring, getting married - I mean if the Last Crusade is the end - then the trilogy couldn't have a better closing shot).

Thirdly, what are other fans favourite and least favourite non lucasfilm Harrison Ford movies? Some of them are terrible. Some are great. Some are just too bland for my taste (I hated the warmed over Bond shenanigans of his Jack Ryan movies - especially patriot games).

I love Witness, Working Girl, Six Days and Seven Nights (a few bits of script tweaking and it could have been an Indy adventure) and Air Force One.

I hate The Devils Own (Patriot Games 2: The Nightmare continues), Regarding Henry (huh?), Sabrina (snore).

I also think there will be a new Indy film. Why? The very fact that a whole load of licsenced merchandise is being stopped (comics, books etc.). Just before a new Bond film comes out - the availability of merchandise tends to dry up - well, over here it does. There was very little Star Wars stuff available until about a year or so before plans for the special editions were announced. What's the old adage . . . "Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen"! I might be wrong, I hope I'm not.

Seeya Hannibal

PS Happy 100th Birthday Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: