Re: What pencil? Oh, THAT pencil....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 29, 1999 at 10:36:20:

In Reply to: Re: What pencil? posted by INDIANA MUNGO on January 29, 1999 at 05:04:32:

: : : : The pencil was a standard Owen-Harding No.2 Stylus only available in the Sandusky, Ohio area from 1978-82. Unfortunately they are extremely rare to come by these days, as the FDA found the lead to be extremely dangerous if inserted into the skin.
: : : : As for the elastic band, my source tells me that Lucasfilm has the exclusive moldings and only creates copies when films of the Indiana Jones series is in production and required by scenes(desk & office interior shots) so unfortunately we will only be able to acquire these items if Indy IV includes some office scenes.

: : : : Garbage In Garbage Out Regards,
: : : : Groo

: : : : P.S. I know that some links to which some fans go to are a little extreme, but if someone didn't look up this gobble-de-goop you and I might loose 10 minutes sleep some evening.

: : : Was it Sandusky, or Vadalia, Ohio. I can never remember. Regards. Michaelson

: :
: : Actually, I believe the particular color of pencil is distinctly an
: : American No.2, not an Owen-Harding, but I've confirmed your information
: : regarding the moldings... do you think the eraser is standard issue,
: : or was the rubber imported specially? :-)

: : Regards (and can't help but chuckle),
: : Stephen

:
: Thanks for the info guys. I must say that I'm damn disappointed about the unlikely hood of getting hold of these items. Especially the pencil, it just looks so cool. But what of Peter Botwright? I read that he is trying to produce authentic replicas of the shirt and pants. Do you think we may be able to persuade him to produce copies of the pencil and rubber band too?

: Living in hope until I die,

: INDIANA MUNGO

: P.S. I don't mean to question your combined expertise, but how sure are you that the pencil was American made? A lot of the other props were made in the UK, and wasn't the Map Room scene also filmed there? I always assumed that the pencil would have been crafted locally, making use of the fine wood in Sherwood Forest.

Regarding your P.S., only Robin of Loxley would know for sure. And I was wrong, it wasn't Vadilia, it was Vermillion, Ohio, just east of Sandusky on the same side of Lake Erie. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]