Re: HJ Hat Care

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn010-27.cyberTours.com on January 29, 1999 at 11:22:14:

In Reply to: HJ Hat Care posted by Sean C. on January 28, 1999 at 21:54:00:

: Hi all:
: After purchasing the HJ hat and wearing it around for a while, I've become quite concerned about it keeping its' shape. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to hats, so does anyone know what I can do a)to help my hat keep its' shape
: b)once its' lost its' shape, is it possible to re-shape it, or even firm up the brim?
: Thanks everone!
: Cheers,
: Sean C.

The very best way to shape up an old hat is to get it professionally cleaned and blocked. Any hatter here in the states can do it, and some won't even charge you for it. Hatworks in VA will do it for about $20-they did my old HJ fedora when I sent it to get the ribbon replaced last year and it came back looking almost brand new. I was very pleased. Is the hat losing it's shape terribly or are you just being cautious? Fur felt will withstand a heck of a lot of abuse for many years, and the HJ hat is no exception. If you don't like the brim being floppy (though I rather like mine this way), and it is getting so, hatters do sell products that can be sprayed on that stiffen the felt again. Cowboy hat places sell such products because most cowboy hat wearers enjoy their brims being stiff. You can also shape up a hat pretty well by simply buying a very soft-bristled brush and brushing it but remember that you should always brush a hat in a counterclockwise fashion as this is the direction of the knap. Hope this helps!

Greg (Wearing my second HJ hat and doing fine!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]