Sarcasm

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts2-h1-50-61.ispmodems.net on January 29, 1999 at 12:33:49:

In Reply to: Re: Wells Lamont Style 1123 posted by Michaelson on January 29, 1999 at 10:51:10:

: :
: : : Just got off the phone with Sam Walton's ghost and he said that the Wells Lamont gloves #1123 - which are almost an exact match to Indy's gloves are available at almost all Wal-Mart stores(except in the town where Red Four lives)for about $12 bucks. Oh, and the only shipping and handling fees you well have to pay for is your means of transporting your behind to and from the store. You can also actually, I..just cant believe it, TRY THE BLASTED THINGS ON before you buy them to ensure a good fit, or you could order some custom made hand-covering devices from the finest maker of such items in all of Italy.

: : : Ever heard of over-kill fellas? Regards,
: : : Groo

: : There is a Wal-Mart near to where I live, and I have owned many pairs of Wells Lamont gloves that I have been very happy with. Have you ever worked in a pair of Buckskin gloves? Very comfortable, and more water resistant! Did I mention I've owned many pairs of Wells? Darn, I thought they'd last forever. I've also owned many pairs of gloves from Ace hardware, from K-mart, and most of them were real close to what we see in the film. Not suprising, seeing as how the gloves are very hard to see even in still pictures. I've had Wells gloves get holes in them the first day I wore them.

: : The thing that bothers me is why do people hassle the guy at Wested leather? A regular bomber jacket is close enough, no reason to hassle that guy. And then the people want the jacket in a certain style from a certain movie. Who cares if the collar is bigger or smaller or if the length is longer or shorter? And why does he offer a choice of leather? So what if one is softer then the other? So what if one is exactly what they had in the movie, and one isn't? And don't get me started on that zippo, which is real close to the movie, but costs forty dollars, when there is a "clover" style put out by zippo that goes for $20. Not to mention just painting the $15 zippo yourself. And brown fedoras just ain't that hard to find.

: : I would buy the buckskins over cowhide if I could afford it, and here we're talking about maybe TEN DOLLARS extra a pair. OH NO! RUN FOR THE HILLS! If the people on the forum want a better glove for just a little more money, who cares? Except Groo?

: : WRITING IN CAPITALS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE YELLING
: : John

: Well, John, I guess you have just missed the point of wanting to own the genuine article, and there is absolutely nothing wrong that. The Wested leather jacket is the actual jacket by the actual company from the actual patterns used by Harrison Ford. It is made of lambskin. He offers it in cowhide because some people don't want lambskin. I wore an A-2 for years before I could finally afford a Wested. The Zippo is an actual recreation of the actual prop used in the Last Crusade. You say so what? Your opinion is just as good as mine. Say it. Some folks are happier wearing faux pearls rather than purchasing real ones. No one can tell, and probably, frankly cares. It's what the individual thinks who owns the items(s)is all that actually matters. I'm draw the line with the jacket, and yes, the Zippo. I don't own a Herbert Johnson, don't have any current plans to at the present. Doesn't mean I won't possibly change my mind in the future. Bottom line is this, if you choose to enjoy this hobby the way you do, go for it. It will bring you as much pleasure as my wanting to own a few of the actual items, as it does the mega fan who has to have everything correct down to the shoe strings. You enjoy it your way, I'll enjoy it my way. Let's not set ourselves up as judge as what is "correct" or "incorrect" in terms of how we pursue our hobby. By the way, Peter Botwright of Wested is VERY pleased to have our attention, and watches this forum regularily to see how he can help us and provide the service we need. Good business, good customer service. No hassle, as you mention several times. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson,

I was being sarcastic to Groo. I can't wait to order a Wested of my own and am extremely pleased that the maker of a costume would keep in touch with us fans. I have been looking for many years for some of the costume items. I was happy to find this forum, and answers to many of my questions regarding the costume. I'm one of the guys that wants the genuine articles!

Groo was acting like I was trying to put something over on someone, or that it was stupid to look for the smallest details. I like the small details, and it appears I am not alone in that.

I hope you'll take my message the way it was intended. I never expected to get attacked like that (Groo) for just offering a service. I don't think it was wrong to do so. I didn't want to get into the name calling that Groo seems fond of, so I went for sarcasm. Your opinion is important to me, so please accept my apology.

Sorry again
John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: