Posted by Adam on September 01, 1997 at 10:30:46:
I don't believe it, either...but there IS someone out there who managed to correctly answer ALL TEMPLE OF DOOM QUESTIONS CORRECTLY!!!!
How could this be? Am I not good enough? (*sniff*)
Anyway, BIG CONGRATS go out to Brian Fitzgerlad, who answered EVERY SINGLE FREAKING QUESTION CORRECTLY! This trivia has been on the board for barely over a day, and Brian came out of nowhere and hit the nail smack on the head, first try out! Well done, Brian! Now I have to give away my beloved INDY LJN action figure...woe is me!
Brian jokingly regrets that he didn't know about the RAIDERS trivia until AFTER the answers were posted. He comically assures everyone that HE would have won it, as well...so much for modesty, Brian, but considering that you've won THIS contest, you're entitled to be a little proud.
Honorable mentions go out to:
Indiana Magnoli, winner of the RAIDERS trivia contest, in 2nd place with an ALMOST perfect score. (Indy fans, beware of this guy, too...he knows his stuff.)
Rocky Ponti, in 3rd place...
firstname.lastname@example.org, in 4th place...
Well done, all!
Now, what you all have been waiting for: the answers to the INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM trivia contest...
A. SHANGHAI INTRO.
1. In what year does TEMPLE take place? (If you can't answer this one, just give up now!!!)
2. About how old is INDY in the film? (I'll accept one of two ages, due to a continuity error among various INDY sources...)
36 (37 also accepted)
3. What is the name of the dance club Indy goes to? (You ALL MUST know this, at least!)
CLUB OBI WAN
4. What American broadway tune does Willie Scott sing (in Chinese)?
5. What was the name of Indy's assistant, disguised as a waiter?
6 & 7. Lao Che, of course, is the villian. BUT CAN YOU NAME HIS TWO SONS?
KAO KAN & CHEN
8. Whose remains (ashes) is Lao Che barganing for?
9. Which dynasty did this dead guy belong to?
10. Short Round wears a baseball cap for which team?
THE NY YANKEES
11. How old is Short Round? (Again, I'll accept one of two ages, due to a continuity error among various INDY sources...)
12 (10 and 11 also accepted, due to various sources.)
12. How did Short Round make a living before meeting Indy?
13. How old was Shorty when his parents were killed?
14. When Indy and crew arrive at the airport, name the character who greets them.
15. Which famous actor/comedian played this cameo role?
16. Name the city that Indy and Co. are ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED to fly to before their plane is ambused. (It's NOT in America.)
17. What U.S. State is Willie originally from?
18. How were Shorty's parents killed?
IN THE JAPANESE BOMBING OF SHANGHI
19. What KIND OF CAR is Shorty driving to escape with? (More than just "nice convertible")
1934 DEUSENBERG AUBURN CONVERTIBLE (Deusenberg was fine)
20. REALLY TOUGH: What is the car's LICENSE PLATE #? (Unless your tv has a REALLY good quality freeze frame feature, you'll need to rely on still photo references in various Indy publications. This question was designed so NO ONE could possibly answer it, and therefore I have included the BONUS QUESTIONS at bottom to be "fair"...heh...heh...)
B. INDIA, and EN ROUTE TO THE PALACE
21. The SANKARA stones are the object of pursuit in this adventure. What do the "rings" on the stones represent?
22. How many stones have been recovered by the time TEMPLE takes place?
23. How many stones ORIGINALLY EXISTED?
24. Which Hindu god had given Sankara the stones to combat evil?
25. What NAME does the shaman call the village's lost Sankara stone?
26. The shaman's village is located near the _____________ hills.
27. How does Indy say "thank you" to the villagers?
28. Who (deity) does the shaman think was responsible for making Indy and Co. fall from the sky?
29. What is the villagers' word for "children"?
30. Before he decides to head off to the Palace, where (travel destination) does Indy originally want to go? (The answer is NOT back to America or his university.)
NEW DELHI (DELHI also accepted)
C. THE PALACE and the TEMPLE OF DOOM
31. What is the name of the Palace?
32. Who first greets our heroes at the palace? (Character's name)
33. The ACTOR who played this character had a major role in which Best Picture Oscar-winning film?
34. What's the name of the British cavalry captain, visiting the Palace?
35. The ACTOR who played this British captain had a memorable role in which legendary horror film from the 1980's?
(Actor Philip Stone played Grady, the old caretaker.)
36. The THUGGEE CULT are the bad guys in this outing. WHAT OTHER FILM previously featured the Thuggees as the central bad guys? (Hint: "insects")
(Starring THE BEATLES -- hence, the "insects" clue. I also accepted GUNGA DIN.)
37. Which evil God do the Thuggees worship?
38. What natural element is the known cure for a victim of "The Black Sleep"?
39. Which mine tunnel route are the heroes SUPPOSED to take to get out?
40. How old is the MAHARAJAH?
THIRTEEN (twelve also accepted, due to conflicting materials)
D. PRODUCTION CREW/MISC. TRIVIA
41. What event during filming delayed the production over six weeks?
HARRISON FORD SUFFERED A VERY PAINFUL RUPTURED SPINAL DISC AND HAD TO UNDERGO EXTENSIVE SURGERY. ("BACK INJURY" also accepted.)
42. How did this event happen? (i.e.: What specifically CAUSED this problem to occur?)
INDUCED BY LONG HOURS RIDING ON AN ELEPHANT, or simply "elephant"
43. How many Oscars did TEMPLE OF DOOM win?
ONE -- for its VISUAL EFFECTS
44. The screenplay writers for this film also penned which 80's MEGAFLOP?
HOWARD THE DUCK...quack.
45. What was the ORIGINAL title for "INDIANA JONES and the Temple of Doom"?
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DEATH
(changed because it seemed too harsh for young audiences. Can't think why.)
46. What movie system rating did this film eventually bring about, but didn't actually receive?
47. What other Spielberg-produced film did Kee Huy Quan star in?
(he played "DATA")
48. The female stuntwoman for Kate Capshaw and Karen Allen had her name listed in the end credits for TEMPLE OF DOOM. What's wrong with it, and HOW SHOULD IT READ?
IT READS "WENDY LEECH" -- IT SHOULD BE "WENDY LEACH"
49. The only other actor to play credited roles in the 3 Indy films, other than Harrison Ford.
(This was a trick question -- he didn't play THE SAME role. In RAIDERS, he played a German Mechanic who wrestles with Indy by the plane, AND someone who wrestles with Indy in the Raven Bar; in TEMPLE, he played the big brawny Thuggee Indy wrestles with; and in CRUSADE a Nazi.)
50. What film beat out INDY 2 for the summer box office of 1984?
(Not BEVERLY HILLS COP; that was released later, and earned most of its money when it carried over to 1985.)
*BONUS QUESTIONS* Answering these questions exactly right will count as one extra point each, so you can get another question wrong and still win the prize:
51. Before the events in TEMPLE, in what year did the British originally drive the old maharajah and his subjects off of the Palace?
1830 (1857 also accepted, due to a listing in an online TEMPLE script.)
52. This one is from RAIDERS: What is Captain Katanga's FIRST NAME?
SCORE CHART -- # of questions correctly answered
0-5: Have you even SEEN this movie?
6-10: You either have recently seen the 2nd Indy movie and have a very bad memory, or you last saw it back in 1984 and have a very GOOD memory...
11-15: Pretty freaking average. You've seen the movie a few times, got a kick out of it...but couldn't care less, right?
16-20: Okay, I guess. *yawn*
21-30: Not bad...recite the Lost Dialogue of Plato ten times, and you'll move up the INDY ladder sure enough.
31-40: I'm starting to become pretty impressed...
41-48: NOW I'm impressed! Indy himself would be proud to have you as a sidekick.
49-51: Your mastery of Indy trivia can be described as "PERFECTION." Indy would gladly let you borrow his whip...
52 (ALL questions & bonus correct): Are you HUMAN? You know Indy better than Harrison Ford does! How can this be? Don't you have a life of your own? Or do you dedicate your heart and soul to watching the Indy movies over and over, writing useless information on this message board day in and day out? Yeah, I bet you even write long-winded trivia questions that NO ONE can answer but you! When was the last time you had sex? (Long time, I'm sure.) You ought to just kill yourself now...you're just a waste of protein and oxygen!
(Sorry, Brian! I was actually referring to MYSELF when I wrote this...please just take it with humor. After all, you've taken my action figure from me...so perhaps this is just some sick, twisted way I'm venting pent-up resentment that someone knows Indy trivia better than I do!)
C O M I N G S O O N...
Yes, true believers, I WILL create a special TRIVIA POST for INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, coming to a WWW page near you in October...
And it's gonna be 100 questions.
I'm also going to see if I can find a cool CRUSADE-related collector's item that I would be willing to part with as a PRIZE for the potential winner.
Anyway, because of the overwhelming responses I've received so quickly -- and to be fair to everyone by giving as many people as possible an opportunity to play this game -- I will ONLY tally scores for CRUSADE TRIVIA AFTER the end of the 2nd week of October. If there is a tie between prize-qualifying scores at such time, I will ask these people a few more questions, and the one who gets the most right will win.
I'll post more details on the new contest in the future. It will appear October 1st.
Post a Followup