Posted by Adam on October 10, 1997 at 19:23:37:
In Reply to: LAST CRUSADE trivia contest WINNERS! (Sadly, it ended early...with good reason.) posted by Adam on October 10, 1997 at 19:16:43:
Here they all are. The solutions to those damn annoying questions. Hope you enjoyed them.
Scores are determined by the number of correct answers. BONUS questions do not subtract from your score, but add to it like extra credit. There were 100 questions, and 20 bonus questions; therefore, a PERFECT SCORE WAS 120, but you needed at least a 100 points and be one of the top 5 scores to win a prize. With some answers involving numbers/dates, I was a little more forgiving.
T H E A N S W E R S
S E C T I O N S A -- C
A. I N T R O D U C T I O N -- T H E Y O U N G I N D Y S E Q U E N C E
1. At what year does the film open?
2. How old is Indy in this sequence? (One of two answers accepted.)
(14 also accepted....but surely River Phoenix looked older than THAT!)
3. What is the name of Indy's fat young friend? (Sorry -- how else can I describe him?)
4. Name the actor who plays the "Fedora".
5. The location for the opening LAST CRUSADE shots was in "Monument Valley", immortalized in several film westerns by another celebrated American filmmaker. Who was this filmmaker?
6. In regards to this other "celebrated American filmmaker", what deliberate homage exists between him and Indy in the YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES?
Either one of two answers accepted:
THE LOOK OF "OLD INDY" WAS BASED AFTER OLD JOHN FORD -- RIGHT DOWN TO THE EYEPATCH...
JOHN FORD WAS A CHARACTER IN THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES' TV MOVIE, "HOLLYWOOD FOLLIES." (Thanks to Indy Magnoli for pointing this out to me.)
7. Where is the Jones family home during this sequence (name of state)?
8. What was the name of Indy's mother (first name only)?
9. Where was the mother born (name of state)?
10. What year did she and Henry Sr. marry?
11. What year did the mother die?
12. How did she die?
13. What other film did Harrison Ford and River Pheonix star in together?
THE MOSQUITO COAST
14. How does Indy get his scar?
MIS-USING A WHIP
15. In real life, how did Harrison Ford get his scar?
IN A CAR ACCIDENT
16. The "Cross of Coronado" is named after what 15th century explorer? (Looking for the FULL name -- it's three words, with the Spanish "de" before the last word)
FRANCISCO VASQUEZ DE CORONADO
17. What was this original explorer looking for?
SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD
B. U. S. A. & V E N I C E
1. What year does the rest of CRUSADE (with Harrison Ford) take place?
2. How many years -- chronologically within the films -- have passed since the previous Indy adventure, and the events with Ford in LAST CRUSADE?
(1938-1936=2; NOT 1938-1935=3: I asked for CHRONOLOGICALLY WITHIN THE FILMS. Crusade was preceded by RAIDERS, not TEMPLE)
3. How many years (within reality) had passed between the U.S. releases of the second and third films?
4. List ALL the INDY movies in their chronological order (in terms of storyline), from first to last.
A TRICK question; requires more than three answers:
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1912 sequence)
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (1935)
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1936)
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1938 sequence)
5. The story of LAST CRUSADE differs chronologically from Lucas' initial plans for the INDY series in 1981. Briefly explain how.
THE 2ND AND 3RD FILMS WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE BEFORE THE EVENTS OF RAIDERS,
or simply that
RAIDERS WAS DESIGNED TO BE THE LAST ADVENTURE.
6. What is the name of the actor who plays the American villian, Walter Donovan?
7. This actor (from #6) had a relative of his play a small cameo role in the film. Who was this relative?
"MS. GLOVER", his WIFE.
8. Who did this relative play?
MS. DONOVAN, his wife.
9. This actor (again, from #6) also starred opposite Charlton Heston and another, young SPIELBERG-alum in a television movie based on a classic novel. Who was this now up-and-coming young actor?
(Excellent actor, BTW. The movie was TREASURE ISLAND)
10. In which Spielberg film did this young actor star, and have the leading role?
EMPIRE OF THE SUN
11. 12. The actor who played Walter Donovan seems to have an affinity for villians, having played bad guys in two other MAJOR film franchises. Name these two franchises. (A "franchise" example would be "the SUPERMAN series", or "the JAWS series")
The STAR WARS series
The JAMES BOND series
13. 14. Name the SPECIFIC FILM from each of these franchises in which this actor starred.
Star Wars series: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
James Bond series: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
15. This actor (again, #6) was a next-door neighbor in London to which INDY executive producer?
ROBERT WATTS (Source: Baxter)
16. This executive producer had originally recommended the actor for which role in LAST CRUSADE?
(Spielberg wanted Julian Glover to play Donovan instead; source: Baxter)
17. Indy and Elsa meet KAZIM, one of the BROTHERS OF THE CRUCIFORM SWORD. But the actor who played Kazim was asked, years ago, to audition for ANOTHER role in a previous INDIANA JONES movie. What role was he asked to audition for?
18. Why -- according to him -- did he probably not get the part?
HE GOT HELD UP IN TRAFFIC AND WAS LATE FOR THE AUDITION
19. The first marker that Indy reads in Donovan's apartment is part of a large shield, broken in two. What were Donovan's men originally excavating for when they discovered this piece?
20. The grail was originally "Entrusted to Joseph of __________________." (Spelling does not count.)
21. What subject does Henry Jones Sr. teach at an unnamed northeastern university? (More than "Grail lore")
MEDIEVAL LITERATURE/MEDIEVIL STUDIES
22. What was this unnamed university?
23. Marcus Brody was also in the first INDY film. What is his exact position, in relation to the museum?
MUSEUM CURATOR, or DIRECTOR OF ANCIENT ANTIQUITIES
24. What is the name of Indy's secretary?
25. According to the materials on INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, at which college does Indy teach?
26. And, according to LAST CRUSADE, which state was this college located in?
27. There is a MAJOR CONTINUITY ERROR between the LAST CRUSADE novel & script, and the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK novel & script; it involves the name and location of the college and museum Indy works in. Undoubtedly, Indy's classroom -- featured in the first and third films -- is the same. But according to the original materials from RAIDERS, the name of Indy's college is completely different. What was it in the first film?
28. And, according to RAIDERS, which state was this college located in?
29. The actress who played ELSA SCHNEIDER also starred in another long-enduring and successful MAJOR film franchise, featuring yet another multi-world-saving hero. What film franchise was this?
The JAMES BOND series
30. Name the specific film from this franchise/series in which she appeared.
A VIEW TO A KILL
31. Henry mailed his Grail Diary to Indy, c/o his college address. GIVE THE COMPLETE ADDRESS AS LISTED ON THE ENVELOPE as it appears typed on the film's prop (spelling counts).
Prof. Indiana Jones
Fairfield, New York
32. DONOVAN was not the original surname of the CRUSADE villian in the initial script. What was the original last name before it was changed?
33. CRUSADE features a major film "flub" (technical error) in the Venician library, involving one of the Roman numerals. What is this obvious flub?
THE GREEN "X" ON THE GREY FLOOR IS IN ONE FAR SHOT HIGHLY VISIBLE; IN THE FOLLOWING SHOT, IT HAS ALMOST DISAPPEARED -- THE GREY IS FADED ENORMOUSLY.
C. T H E R E S C U E O F H E N R Y J O N E S, S R.
1. When the idea of using Sean Connery in the role of Indy's father came about, Harrison Ford said to the press that he had only one slight reservation (other than possibly being upstaged or having to share top billing). What was it?
CONNERY IS ONLY TWELVE YEARS OLDER THAN FORD, MAKING HIM A LITTLE TOO YOUNG TO PLAY HIS DAD; or simply, AGE.
2. Henry made a map in his diaries, with detailed directions to the location of the grail. All he lacked was one thing: the name of the city. What was this city? (It's original name--spelling doesn't count.)
3. What present city is built on its ruins?
4. What reason does Henry Sr. give to explain how he knew Elsa was a Nazi?
SHE TALKS IN HER SLEEP
5. What is Indy's real name? (If you don't know this, you REALLY need to go to the movies.)
HENRY JONES, Jr.
6. What CITY is the castle located in, where Henry is kept by the Nazis? (Actual exterior location)
7. What is featured on Indy's lighter?
8. What are the serial numbers listed on the side of the bi-plane Indy & Henry use to escape?
9. When Indy & Elsa reach the castle, the butler says that if Indy's a Scottish lord, than he is "Mickey Mouse." This was added on in post-production. What person/thing did the butler originally say he was?
(Black Olympic athelete who proved Hitler's "Master Race" wasn't all it was cracked up to be.)
10. When exactly was the First Crusade (give year) and who proclaimed it?
1095 A.D., Proclaimed by Pope Urban II.
(1096 also accepted)
11. Who was quoted as saying, "I can't play opposite someone called 'Doody'...do you know what that means?"
HARRISON FORD (As quoated by Baxter)
12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. (SIX POINTS.)
According to LAST CRUSADE's telling of the legend, there are six degrees or levels of awareness in the Grail quest -- each degree is represented by an animal. Name ALL the animals, in order (THREE POINTS), and what they each represent (THREE POINTS).
I was forgiving with these answers...they are somewhat ambiguous, so I always gave players the benefit of the doubt.
RAVEN -- MESSENGER OF THE GRAIL, THE "FINGER OF FATE" INITIATING THE QUEST.
PEACOCK -- SEARCH FOR IMMORTALITY & COLORFUL NATURE OF QUEST.
SWAN -- OVERCOMING WEAKNESS OF MIND & HEART.
PELICAN -- QUALITY OF SELF-SACRIFICE
LION -- LEADERSHIP, CONQUEST, ATTAINMENT OF HIGH GOALS
EAGLE -- LAST LEVEL, THE POWER & KNOWLEDGE OF THE QUEST.
Post a Followup