Posted by Adam on October 10, 1997 at 19:29:57:
In Reply to: LAST CRUSADE trivia contest WINNERS! (Sadly, it ended early...with good reason.) posted by Adam on October 10, 1997 at 19:16:43:
The posts didn't have enough space for all the answers, so I was forced to divide them up into two sections.
D. S P A I N a n d R E C O V E R I N G T H E G R A I L
1. What is "the name of God"? (No, you don't need to worry about spelling or the Latin alphabet.)
JEHOVAH, or IEHOVAH...whatever.
2. "The _________ man will pass...the _________ man will pass..." (One answer; same word.)
3. According to Henry's cryptic diary, the three grail challenges he describes to Indy on the Zepplin are:
"First, the __________ of God..."
"...second, the __________ of God..."
"...third, the _________ of God..."
4. In the FILM, what was the make of car that Donovan gives to the sultan?
ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM II
5. In the NOVEL, what was the make of this car?
6. Finish this old University Club Toast: "Genius of the Restoration..."
"...AID OUR OWN RESUSCITATION!"
7. That damn LATIN ALPHABET made Indy mistake one letter for another. He stepped on the wrong letter-stone and FELL INTO AN ENORMOUS CAVERN. But this was not the original BAD OUTCOME filmed during production; the "bottomless-cavern" image was added in post-production, because the first BAD OUTCOME didn't give the necessary chill to the audience. What THING (one word) was this original BAD OUTCOME?
8. What actual location was used as the lost city for the CRUSADE finale? (One word; not ELSTREE)
9. What other fantasy/adventure film of the last twenty years used this location for filming?
SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER (1977)
10. The tank at the end of the film required the crew to reconstruct a replica of WHAT KIND of German tank? (Be specific.)
MARK 7 GERMAN TANK
11. In which war was the original tank used?
12. How many of these tanks did the Germans build for this war? (Yes, I KNOW these are hard, obscure questions.)
13. When our heroes find the lost city, it seems pretty darn silly -- they just waltz on into the cavern! It's a small wonder why the "lost" city was lost for so long. But there was a filmed scene not included in the final cut which made this sequence more believeable and logical. What exactly happened? (Just a few words will do.)
INDY WATCHES THE NAZIS USING EXPLOSIVES TO ENTER THE HIDDEN CANYON.
E. P R O D U C T I O N a n d T H E I N D I A N A J O N E S F I L M S
1. The late Derek Taylor wrote "The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark." Taylor was well-known for being a longtime publicist to a European rock group. What was this rock group?
2. Late actor Denholm Elliott, a longtime film and theater veteran, was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in what film from the 1980's?
A ROOM WITH A VIEW.
3. Which COMIC BOOK SERIES (actual issue title name) briefly "flashbacked" to the end moments of LAST CRUSADE, with Indy and Henry thinking about the Grail?
INDIANA JONES AND THE SPEAR OF DESTINY.
4. Name the two comic-book companies which produced INDY titles in the United States?
DARK HORSE COMICS and MARVEL COMICS
5. What film beat out LAST CRUSADE for the 1989 U.S. domestic boxoffice?
6. What day was LAST CRUSADE released nationwide in America? (Month, day, year.)
Wednesday, May 24th, 1989.
7. Give the FIRST & LAST name of the artist who made the LAST CRUSADE poster/video illustrations in America.
8. What was the highest-grossing film of 1989 internationally?
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
9. Indy's first adventure was released in 1981. What other major epic film from that year dealt with the legend of THE HOLY GRAIL? (Not "TIME BANDITS")
10. Terry Gilliam, of MONTY PYTHON fame, made another film somehow involving the premise of the GRAIL after LAST CRUSADE was released. What was it?
THE FISHER KING
11. When Lucas & Spielberg initially flirted with the idea of the would-be adventurer, "Indiana Jones" was NOT the original name for the character. What was it?
(glad they made the change)
12. In the late 1970's, Steven Spielberg had seriously campaigned to direct a film for a very successful franchise, but was turned down by the producers. (!!!!!) It was from this that Lucas offered him another story that was "something better". What was the film franchise that Spielberg first wanted to work on?
THE JAMES BOND SERIES
(I bet they're damn sorry they turned him down.)
13. Two leading INDY film actors worked on films with the great English director, Ridley Scott. What were these films? (Two answers.)
BLADE RUNNER (Harrison Ford)
BLACK RAIN (Kate Capshaw)
14. Other than Harrison Ford, one actor appeared in credited (non stuntman/non-extra) roles in both RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and STAR WARS. Who is this actor?
15. Poor Karen Allen never got a break. Even after the wretched filming with all those damn snakes, she still had to put up with Steven Spielberg's pranks. What horrible thing did her do to her while doing the film's sound rerecording?
HE PUT A SNAKE DOWN HER BACK TO GET HER TO SCREAM RIGHT.
16. What do INDIANA's and WILLIE's names have in common? (Other than they're both "professional names")
NAMED BY THE FILMMAKERS & SCREENWRITERS AFTER THEIR PETS
17. Paul Freeman (Belloq) said once that his attraction to the RAIDERS script was from a specific thing: "Any film with THAT in it can't be all bad." What was he referring to?
THE MONKEY GIVING A NAZI SALUTE.
18. Someone of the INDY series once daringly said, "Steven (Spielberg) and I are not the best of friends. He looks at actors as part of the scenery." Who said this about the usually-praised director?
KAREN ALLEN (as quoated by Baxter)
19. In an early draft of the script for RAIDERS, Toht was designed to have a special mechanical arm that could fire bullets. What legendary film character served as the inspiration for this initial idea?
20. Who was Lucas' first choice for the role of Henry Jones, Senior -- when the character was still in a more "scholarly" stage?
JOHN HOUSEMAN (Source: Baxter)
F. B O N U S Q U E S T I O N S -- T H E I M P O S S I B L E I N D Y T R I V I A
1. Well, during CRUSADE, I couldn't help but be reminded of Monty Python's little escapade for the HOLY GRAIL. Their other film, LIFE OF BRIAN, ended with an uplifting little song -- what was the name of this song? (Yeah, it ain't INDY related, so that's why it's a bonus question.)
(ALWAYS LOOK ON) THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!
2. During the filming of the Well of the Souls sequence in England, the daughter of a WORLD REKNOWNED DIRECTOR was horrified at the alleged "bad treatment" of the snakes. After her telling dad about this incident, the director was quoated as saying, "Steve's a jerk." (The RAIDERS crew quickly improved the conditions for the snakes afterwards.) Who was this legendary director?
("THE GOD OF ALL CINEMA", "THE GREAT VISIONARY", and "THE ALL-KNOWING ONE" were also accepted answers -- for surely these can mean only Kubrick.)
3. & 4. Two actors of the INDIANA JONES films played villians not only to INDY, but to SHERLOCK HOLMES in two films as well. Who are these actors?
5. & 6. What were the names of these two Sherlock Holmes films?
WITHOUT A CLUE (Paul Freeman)
YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (Anthony Higgins)
(Many INDY veterans played in Holmes films, but my question was very specific. The actors in question were villians both to Holmes and to Indy in a film. There was a slight exception I was willing to make for questions 3-6: Ronald Lacey played "Toht" in RAIDERS, and "Inspector Lestrade" in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Though Lestrade was certainly not a villian to Holmes, he was well regarded as being a genuine pain in the ass, so this was -- generously -- counted as correct. Wolf Kahler was in THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, but because this was for a television production -- I had asked for movies -- and his role was a small one rather than a major villian, this answer was considered incorrect.)
7. & 8. Two actors of the INDIANA JONES films also played the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES in two films as well. Who were these actors?
Any two of the following three answers were accepted:
9. & 10. What were the names of these two films?
Any two of the following three answers accepted:
AIR FORCE ONE (Harrison Ford)
THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BONZAI! (Ronald Lacey)
MY FELLOW AMERICANS (Dan Ackroyd)
(I had only thought there were two when I wrote questions 7-10, forgetting that Ackroyd was a president in MY FELLOW AMERICANS. Thanks to Indiana Magnoli for pointing this out.)
11. The actor who played DIETRICH also played a Nazi in a horror/fantasy film. It was directed by the guy who made a very cool cop show and a very cool cop movie. What was this horror/fantasy film?
(Directed by Michael Mann, who did a very cool "cop show" called MIAMI VICE, and a very cool "cop movie" called HEAT.)
12. What 1980's film with Richard Gere also featured the ARK of the Covenant?
13. The actor who played CAPTAIN KATANGA in RAIDERS had a small role in a science-fiction/fantasy film based on a long-running comic book series. What was this film?
FLASH GORDON (Flash! Ah-AH!!! George Harris had a scene where he tries to kill Ming the Merciless...he wasn't successful.)
14. Karen Allen, perhaps the actress of the INDY films to have the most respectable career on the stage and screen, won a major theatre award for her performance in a stage play inspired by the life of Helen Keller. What was the name of this play?
THE MONDAY AFTER THE MIRACLE
(It takes place after the events of "THE MIRACLE WORKER".)
15. Everyone knows that Tom Selleck was the first choice to play Indiana Jones, but because of MAGNUM P.I. he couldn't do it. But -- according to one Spielberg biographer -- what is NOT widely known was that Lucas & Spielberg had actually decided to use Selleck AFTER testing Harrison Ford several times. Unfortunately for the filmmakers, Ford eventually found out this information -- and was justifiably furious. How did Ford learn that he had initially been turned down for the role?
"VARIETY" ACTUALLY PRINTED THAT FORD HADN'T BEEN CHOSEN. (Source: Baxter)
(As a side note, if Ford hadn't gotten the role, would he now be seen kissing Kevin Kline in "IN & OUT"? That would be pretty funny, don't you think?)
16. Elstree Studios was where the "Well of Souls" set was built. It occupied a specific stage where, immediately before RAIDERS, another famous movie set had been. Name the film.
THE STAGE WAS USED JUST PREVIOUSLY AS THE HOTEL LOBBY FROM
17. & 18. Before Karen Allen answered a nationwide casting call for the role of Marion Ravenwood, two high-profile actresses were originally offered the part. Both turned it down. Who were these two big-name brunette actresses? (Two answers; Amy Irving is NOT one of them.)
(Multi-Oscar nominated actress of "Terms of Endearment", "Urban Cowboy" -- hence clue, "Rodeo Dr., in Beverly Hills")
(Another multi-Oscar nominated actress of "Hanna and Her Sisters", "Portrait of a Lady" -- hence clue, "Mona Lisa")
Both these women seem like interesting choices for Marion. Sources: Spielberg bios.
19. Name the artist (FIRST & LAST NAME) who did the teaser, videocassette/1982 rerelease poster art for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.
(Many replied just "Amsel". I also needed his first name to give credit.)
20. For a close-up shot of a snake almost biting Marion's leg in the Well of Souls, a stand-in was used for Karen Allen. What was the name of this person?
...a young snake handler who shaved his legs and put on a dress to play "Marion".
S C O R E
0-10: Did you even SEE this movie? May you fall under the BLACK SLEEP of the Kali Ma for all eternity, oh foolish one!
11-20: You either saw this movie recently and have a bad memory, or saw in back in 1989 and have a GOOD one!
31-40: Okay, okay...I'm awake...yawn...
41-50: Not terrible, but not great, either.
51-60: Average score.
61-70: Hmmm...not bad. Not bad at all. Count from one to twenty -- in Greek -- and Indy will let you "tag along" on any dangerous journey.
71-80: You know your Indy trivia!
81-90: If this were a term paper, Dr. Jones would give you an "A".
91-99: You could call Indy "Junior", and he'd let it slide 'cause he likes you so much.
100-110: Indy would let you borrow his hat!
111-119: Indy would let you KEEP his hat, and Marion would let you win a drinking game with her, 'cause you're so damn cool!
120: Perfect score. You have JUST WON an instant cameo in the next Indy sequel!!!
(Sorry, just kidding on that last one.)
I hope you guys enjoyed these trivia questions...I sure enjoyed making them. You all did much better than I thought you would! Amazing...
This will indeed be the LAST trivia contest I post -- at least until the hopeful release of INDY IV. Here's hoping that that will be a reality soon.
So until then, I guess this means goodbye.
Special thanks go out to Indiana Magnoli, again, for donating the Grail replica, to Phil for shedding light on some of my more confusing questions, and to Micah Johnson for letting posts like these be possible. (Well, the fact that he won the contest also probably puts a smile on his face.)
And, of course, to all of you who played. Cheers.
T H E E N D ! ! ! !
Adam rides off into the sunset...and falls off his horse whilst the RAIDERS MARCH plays.
Post a Followup