Re: Amateur whipcracker

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-24.dialip.mich.net on February 25, 1998 at 21:22:36:

In Reply to: Re: Amateur whipcracker posted by Michaelson on February 25, 1998 at 13:23:57:

: No argument regarding mis-use of a whip, but as you pointed out, non-use is a worse situation. The care of the whip afterwards is the most important thing, and I have found varies from state to state that I've lived in. In Ohio, I found that the light grease coating worked well, since the cold would allow it to continue to flex. When I moved to northern Florida, I found just the opposite. Any kind of light grease attracted bugs, who like to eat leather, especially with such an excellent "salad dressing". I found a leather lotion/conditioner to be the answer in that climate. Now that I'm in Tennessee, the conditioner seems to work well. I use the same on my leather jacket with fine results. I do find myself in the old mindset of "should I practice or not? It I do, I'll have to clean and condition. If I don't, it will gather dust." I find the same problem in target shooting. I'll have to clean guns afterward. If I don't, it hurts the gun. What a grind. The things we do for our hobbies! Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson No doubt the climate you live in has a big part in how to properly care for a whip. Excessively wet and humid areas or hot or cold and dry areas will require different care and different amounts of dressing. Normally I can get away with giving my whips a good heavy coat of leather dressing every 6 months or so, with a few light coats in between when needed. On the heavy coats I try to give it around a week to completely penetrate the leather. Then wipe down any excess. Make sure its wiped down thoroughly so what ever grease you use does not leave the whip feeling sticky or tacky. You need to be careful what kind of oils you use too. You don't want to use anything that will attack the leather, go rancid, or like you said attract insects. (Another reason I prefer to avoid using animal fat products) Too many people use the wrong stuff on their whips, then wonder why the leather starts to deteriorate and the whip falls apart.

Normally as long as the whip does not get excessively dirty or muddy, I just keep them clean by wiping it down with a soft cloth before I put them away. I try to practice daily especially in the Spring, Summer and Fall, providing the ground is dry. Winter is another story as the weather tends to be less cooperative. When I am not using them I normally keep them stored inside a case separated by pieces of clean cloth. (BTW Regarding shooting, I know just what you mean.)

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]