Re: Rene Russo for INDY IV! - RU NUTS or JUST CRAZY?!?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust173.tnt1.slt2.da.uu.net on February 08, 1999 at 14:20:50:

In Reply to: Re: Rene Russo for INDY IV! - RU NUTS or JUST CRAZY?!? posted by Groo on February 08, 1999 at 05:58:21:

: Only one problem, SHE CAN'T ACT!! Every role she has ever played is the same. From Leathal Weapon 3 to Freejack(even typing that name turns my stomach), she has always been the unconquerable feminist who shrivels when finally confronted by someone who has bigger balls than her.
: Rene Russo ruins every film she is in Regards,
: Groo

Um, Ok. No need to have an aneurysm, Groo buddy! I admit I may be crazy. Hehe, but let's look at Indy's track record so far:

Karen Allen: at the time a stage actress who repeatedly would piss Spielberg off during Raiders filming because, well, she couldn't act. It was like pulling teeth.

Kate Capshaw: How does her execution of lines like "Indy, they're stealing our rides!" or "Sweet dreams , Dr. Jones, I could have been your greatest adventure!" slide down your gullet? Kind of similar to Sharon Stone in King Solomon's Mines, eh? Granted she worked within an annoying character, but the term over-the-top comes to mind. And as a side note, I believe it was her idea to make Marcus the bumbling idiot we all saw in Crusade. Too much pull with the director.

Alison Doody: Don't let the accent fool you, dude. Obviously in the film for purposes of eye candy alone, Alison simply mimics the facial expressions shown her by Spielberg behind the camera. Basically, Spielberg played that part.

Now, I really don't expect Oscar caliber performances from the lead female player in a Jones movie, but there are other possibilities than two-bit stage actresses or hollow pretty blonds.

The rene-feminist thing threw me. I acknowledge she played a balsy IA cop in Lethal 3, but she has always been in a supporting role, either the wife or girlfriend of a much more dynamic male character. So, I don't see too much feminism in her roles. I mean, look at the dykish quality of Karen Allen's character for crying-out-loud! And hers was the best female character of the trilogy. Did she come across feminist? Hope not. But, we shouldn't confuse feminism with just a hard-boiled attitude.

And, I just don't think I can stomach seeing old Harry acting opposite another girl half his age, man. We have enough of that to last a lifetime. he's going the way of the great Connery (not a bad way to go, but then again we already have a Connery).

Just musing for fun Regards,
--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: