Are nylon whips any good?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Satipo from webcache04p.cache.pol.co.uk on February 13, 1999 at 02:48:50:

In Reply to: Re: To all BULLWHIP owners posted by Illi Smith on February 12, 1999 at 19:12:58:

: : I have a few questions.

: : 1) When Indy whips the poker out of Toht's hand in the bar scene, is it really possible to have achieved this without hitting either Marion or Toht in the face?

: : 2) Is it possible to swing with a normal David Morgan whip, or do you need a special cable fitted version?

: : 3) The David Morgan site suggests that the 10 foot version was used predominantly in the films, but longer versions were also used. Do they mean that the 10 foot model was only used when the whip was seen attached to Indy's belt, or was it also used in some of the action sequences as well? In other words, is the 10 foot model long enough for any of the whip tricks, or is it only just for show?

: : Adios,

: : Satipo

: Ah, Hollywood...
: Yes it is possible to swing from a whip, there is no doubt about that, but the damage that you will do to your whip makes it impratical. It's one thing when you are a multi million dollar production company to purchase $500-$600 whips for your actor to swing on but for the average person, you are wasting the money on your investment. If you want to swing from whips, I would suggest that you purchase a cheaper, but not cheaply made, 4 plait latigo whip. In general, it is a good idea to have a whip that you can practice with so you can learn how to handle the whip before you beat up an expensive one. I am talking from experience. In the beginning you will use to much force on the whip, hit objects that you didn't want to hit, let the whip drag along the ground when using it and do all sorts of other things that shorten a whips life. By all means, get the Morgan whip, you won't be dissapointed, but try to get the practice whip also. Please!!!

: If you want to see some incredible Hollywood whip tricks, buy the movie "Don Q, Son of Zorro", starring Douglas Fairbanks. I believe the Wild West Arts Club still sells this.

: Enjoy the new sport
: Illi Smith

Thanks for the info. Are the Mark Allen Nylon whips any good as practise whips? They seem to be a lot cheaper than the leather ones.

Adios,

Satipo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: