JOURNALISTS? THEY DO LOVE THEIR SOUNDBITES!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from ausfire.austin.ppdi.com on March 31, 1999 at 03:58:36:

In Reply to: Another Indy Newspaper Article... posted by Indy Magnoli on March 30, 1999 at 21:05:50:

Hey Indy,
Journalists love soundbites. It makes there job soooo much easier if they can compare a news story to something populist and well known. The name Indiana Jones has become synonomous with treasure hunters and archaeologists alike. Don't take it personally when some newshound is too lazy to actually explain something properly. They're doing the readers a great diservice. It's like when someone shows a genuine academic interest in the possibilities of extraterrestrial life - these people are inevitably labeled as Spooky and real life X-Files. Someone works for any intelligence agencies "Real life James Bond".

I don't think that it really matters in the long run! The people who matter know what archaeology really is!

Seeya Hannibal:

Just read this article in a New Zealand paper. I've excepted the interesting bits:

: ----------------
: ITALY'S INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF STOLEN RELICS
: by Chris Endean

: The world's largest collection of allegedly stolen archaeological treasures has been discovered in the home of a Sicilian art collector known as Italy's Indiana Jones.
:
: Vincenzo Cammarata is accused of masterminding an international smuggling ring...

: Cammarata is being held in Bologna prison, where he faces charges of stealing archaeological relics and helping the Mafia smuggle Italy's national heritage to private collectors and museums in the United States...

: "He revelled in the reputation of being Sicily's version of Indiana Jones," says Tony Zermo, a journalist who has traced Cammarata's rise and fall...
: ----------------

: Is this what the world thinks of Indiana Jones? I've heard people call him a tomb robber, but comparing Indy to Mafia-assisted smugglers? I hope Indy 4 helps to redeem Indy's character. I know that archaeology has changed greatly since Indy's day, but this Italian is a true criminal. What do you guys think? I think that I take this kind of stuff personally, being an archaeologist.

: Kind regards,
: Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: