Re: The Wested website...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn002b-150.cybertours.com on June 04, 1999 at 04:44:39:

In Reply to: The Wested website... posted by ROB T. on June 04, 1999 at 03:24:51:

: I don't have any news about whether or not the Indy jacket is being discontinued. In fact, before tonight I didn't really care that much about the jacket (it would be cool to have one, but the price is out of my range)
: After reading about the controversy on this site I visited the Wested website looking for news and I can kind of see Lucas' point. Please don't flame me about this.
: Wested does use their connection with the film and images of Indy in the jacket as a selling point on their website. Let's be fair, would any of us be seeking out the jacket if it weren't for our love of Indy?
: Maybe George Lucas is a money hungry jerk but he does have a right to protect his intellectual property. As a wannabe writer myself, I wouldn't want someone else making a profit off of the stuff I write and it shouldn't make a difference that Lucas has made lots off of Indy already.
: As an example, if a millionare is accosted on the street for his money do we expect him to just hand it over happily just because he has plenty more at home? No, we expect him to fight to keep what's his just like the rest of us do.
: I hope that an agreement can be reached between Lucas and the Wested company so that the jacket can be offered to anyone who wants to buy it. If the images of Indy and any reference to the films is removed from all advertisements I think it would be unfair of Lucas to pursue the matter any further.
: In my opinion, the Wested company has a right to use the pattern and to continue making the jackets (they have a right to profit from their intellectual property just as Lucas has) but they don't have a right to use Indy's image without permission or compensation to the copyright owners.
: Sorry if this opinion cheeses people off but everyone has rights (even George Lucas)

I don't see any reason why Peter can't just remove all allusions to the name and continue to sell the authentic jacket. This forum and other Indy websites will help sell the Wested name as the creators of the Indy jacket. One thing that puzzles me, Michaelson, I think reported a while ago that when he was talking to Peter Botwright about the jackets, Peter informed him that he just took an order for one of the jackets from non other than George Lucas himself. Why would he just now decide to pull out the licensing trump card when he must have known Peter was selling the jacket? I have no idea about any of this as I just read the forum posts about this last night. How did this news break?

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]