Indiana Jones and The Egyptian Escapade, a third alternative CHAPTER 4 for those who want this sort of thing.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Mungo from host62-172-59-138.btinternet.com on June 22, 1999 at 04:39:39:

Chapter 4
Indy stared at his glass as Sallah refilled it with a thick, dark liquid that pumped from an ornate looking bottle. Memories of Marion and her fondness for alcohol briefly flooded Indy's head. He'd had some of the best times of his life with her, but now... now things were different.
"What did you say this stuff was again?" Indy inquired.
"Finest Egyptian whisky - honey of the gods!" replied his friend.
Indy smiled wryly and raised his now overflowing glass, "Here's to the gods and all the bees in heaven!"
Laughing heartily, Sallah joined him in the toast. They had been drinking now for a couple of hours, reminiscing over old times and how their lives had changed since their last meeting. Much laughter had been had and yet somehow Indy felt sad. His old friend looked older than he had previously imagined. Once jet-black hair was now tinted with much gray and there seemed to be many more lines on his face. The sparkle in his eyes that had once seemed so bright, now seemed a lot dimmer. It was probably an effect of the drink, Indy thought, but he wondered if he, too, was showing his years.
"The trouble with children is that they age you, Indy", remarked a suddenly serious Sallah, as though reading Indy's mind, "they force you to grow up faster than you would normally choose to and embrace responsibilities you would otherwise avoid. Earlier, I told you you had been blessed. This is true. But families are both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes, when the sun is shining and your children are smiling at you, you feel very fortunate indeed, but there are other times when you feel, well, burdened," Sallah's solemn expression gave way to a smile, "I must admit, Indy, I never expected to see you in my position."
Surprised by the insight of Sallah's observation, Indy looked down at his glass, "Neither did I Sallah, neither did I." Indy swigged a large mouthful of the gods' honey. He loved his wife and kids dearly, but if he was honest with himself, he often felt tied down by them. Sure, they had changed his life, but was it for the better? He missed his old self - a free agent, with not a care in the world. Now he had worries and responsibilities by the truck load. He felt old and he felt trapped, and he didn't like either feeling. A blessing or a curse? At this moment in time, he didn't like to say.
Feeling guilty at the way he had allowed alcohol to nurture such thoughts, Indy turned his attention to the clock on the wall. It was coming up to four o'clock in the afternoon. He started to feel agitated. Why weren't they back yet?
"They've been out too long, Sallah. I should go out looking for them. Can I take your truck?"
Sallah looked at the clock, "Yes, we have enjoyed ourselves far too much, my friend, and have neglected to remember the time and our responsibilities. However, considering our happy state, it would not be wise for either yourself or I to drive. I will get my eldest to take us into town."
At that moment the phone began to ring. Sallah answered it. Indy watched as his friend listened intently to the voice at the other end before slowly replacing the handset. He turned to Indy, the sparkle had now vanished altogether from his eyes.
"Who was it?" Indy asked.
"They would not say. It was a message for you, Indy. Indy, Kate and your children, I'm sorry, they are dead."

A wave of emotion swept through Indy's body. He just stared, paralysed, at Sallah's face, watching as the tears ran down it. He could feel hot tears on his own cheeks, but he was unable to blink or wipe them away. He didn't know how to react or behave next. Time had stopped forever in his world. He tried desparately to think of images of Kate and the children, but strangely he couldn't. He should never have brought them to Egypt. What was he thinking? What kind of a man would risk everything that was dear to him like that? He began to feel sick now. Sick with overwhelming feelings of sadness and guilt. One phone call had turned his life on its head, and yet, as much as he hated to admit it, he suddenly felt liberated.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]