Re: Is Wested the real deal?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on July 19, 1999 at 13:56:45:

In Reply to: Is Wested the real deal? posted by Ty Smith on July 18, 1999 at 16:10:48:

: Does anyone know for certain that this company really made the Indiana Jones jacket? Anyone can make a certificate. Their claims sound genuine, but conflict somewhat with a book on flight jackets that I have. Any opinion would be appreciated

Ty, I personally believe that Peter Botwright and Wested is indeed the real deal, as there have been many cross references to them over the past 17+ years as being the one and only creators of the jackets. It's interesting to me, too, how many companies make the claim, but when pressed for details finally back up and say, "well, we knew a guy who knew another guy who said he THOUGHT he knew we could make it, therefore yes, we sort of are the original makers once removed." This is a real loose breakdown of a situation we ran into with a company that claimed to be the company, but when the owner checked out the facts with the manufacturer after many of the forum members pressing, found out that the company had been licensed to make a few copies based on Wested's original coat, and were therefore considered the "licensed" maker of the coat in the US. NOT the original creator, mind you, the licensee of the coat in the US. Recently I was on a completely separate search and came across a young ladies resume that was based in California, and SHE claims to be the original designer of the coat for all three movies. Based on the fact (and literature) that all the props came from England, as well as most of the movie (Raiders) being filmed in England, why would they have the coat designed by an unknown right out of college (at that time) and take it to London for production, then leave the patterns with the manufacturer? Like I said, all roads lead to Wested, and have from the get-go. Hope this helps. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]