Yours Truly

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Galacter Tiga from ts005d41.las-nv.concentric.net on July 21, 1999 at 02:23:52:

In Reply to: Re: Title change for "Raiders"? NOOOOOO!!!!! posted by Micah on July 20, 1999 at 06:58:10:

: I agree. Someone else, though I can't remember where I read it, made a good point that Indy was one of the Ark's "raiders" so he should not be set apart in the title.

Wow! I'm very flattered that stuck with you, as it seems to hit others the same way whenever I'm discussing Indy Jones with anybody. It comes from my original assessment of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" written for a book I compiled a few years ago that reviewed all of Indy's adventures up to that point (getting close to a time for updating)!

In it, I had stated that the best thing about the film is that it presents Indy as just another "raider" out to get the Ark more than it presents him as a good guy. It is Belloq qho sides with the warrior ancestors of the temple that Indy is robbing, it is Belloq who provides Marion with comfort in the Sahara and beyond, in fact Marion suffers Indy's lack of morals more than anybody. The only element that established Belloq as a bad guy at all is that evil laugh that echoes through the forest and that he sold his soul to the wrong side of right. Who the hero really is is never established until the end of the film, when the Ark is opened.

It is this set-up that made it a master-stroke of genius when Lucas's next Indy story called on him to make a moral deciscion regarding another dark, terrifying force. Why would Indy, as he's presented in "Raiders", help those kids?

I agree that "Raiders" should not have a title change. All the logo consistency in the world won't make me take my original copy off my display shelf, nor will I be removing the tape-covers I made for the uterrly different logo, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".

G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]