Group..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa's husband from spider-wa011.proxy.aol.com on July 21, 1999 at 18:45:21:

I found something of Tessa's on the harddrive that she hoped to put on here for people's opinion and for anyone to contribute. So here goes...

September 1971

Chapter 1
A stereo is blasting in the early morning day. A young woman was singing in the adjoining bathroom as she was getting dressed. Her bedroom door slams open and she hears,
“Lauren Marie, what are you doing? Waking up the whole neighborhood?”
A brunette head pops her head out of the bathroom door and said, “Sorry Dad,” as she ran to turn off the stereo. She faces her father in the doorway, his grayish-brown hair, the professor-type suit, wired-rimmed glasses, and hazel eyes. On his head rested his favorite possession, a brown felt fedora given to him years ago. The girl smiles at him and said,
“I actually was trying to wake myself up.”
Her father laughed at her. Dr. Indiana Jones had since so many things in his lifetime – The Ark, Atlantis, and The Holy Grail for the most part – but nothing could amount to the pain and suffering he endured twice in his life – the lost of his wives. His first wife, Deirdre, died in a plane crash in a South American jungle. His second wife, Kate, Lauren’s mother, to cancer two years ago. His pride and joys were Lauren, his youngest, and his twin sons, who were in their third year at Princeton. He ruffled his daughter’s hair and said,
“Ready for your first day?”
“After the escapade in Mexico, you betcha,” as she put on her head her own fedora, only in black.
“That’s my girl,” he said fondly, “Breakfast?”
“Not hungry,” she replied as she grabbed her bag and swung it over her shoulder.
“You have to eat. At least some toast with jam.”
“You don’t take no for an answer, do you Dad?”
“Not us Joneses,” as he placed his hands on her shoulders and said wistfully, “If only your mother were here…”
“I know,” as she looked in the mirror. Indy was amazed at how much his daughter looked like him except for the bright blue eyes. He kept thinking back when she was born, of how he found Kate at the bottom of the steps after tripping on one of the twins’ toys. He couldn’t believe Lauren was 18, a freshman in college.
Lauren looked at the clock and said, “I really have to go, Dad.”
“Alright, I’ll see you at lunch?”
“Defiantly,” smiling back at him as she ran out to the motorcycle she begged for on her 17th birthday. Helmet fastened on and her black leather jacket zipped up, she waved to her father as she rode off. Indy smiled back and thought Typical Lauren. Always a trendsetter.

Chapter 2
“Did you guys hear?” said a girl on the far end of campus; “Professor Jones’ daughter is going to school here.”
“So?” as another girl was munching on some cookies.
“Aren’t you the least bit curious of what she looks like?” the girl questioned.
“Now there’s something,” as the girls turned to see a motorcyclist sped through the parking lot. The driver crunched the gravel as the girl with red hair said,
“A showoff.”
“Yeah, who does the guy think he is?” said the blonde next to her.
The driver took off her helmet; a cascade of light brown hair tumbled out. The driver looked around, smiled, and the redhead said, “It’s a girl!”
“Well, Kathy, go find out who she is?” said the dark haired girl.
Kathy wrinkled her nose and said, “I don’t hang around with riffraff.”
“Then I will,” said the blonde.
“Ellen!” Kathy called but Ellen couldn’t hear her. Ellen walked up to the girl and said,
“Excuse me?”
“Yeah?”
“You’re new here, aren’t you?”
“You can say that,” the girl replied smiling.
“I haven’t seen you on campus before.”
“Oh, I’ve been here and there,” the girl replied.
“Transfer student?”
“No, freshman,” as the girl stared at Ellen with her bright blue eyes, “Problem?”
“Well, you’ll have to obey the rules here. The president won’t like it.”
“I’ll keep that in mind,” as the girl walked away from her.
“Hey,” she called to her, “I’m Ellen Jacobs.”
The girl turned and looked at her. She grinned a bit and said, “I’m your worst enemy.”
“Beg your pardon?” Ellen’s eyes rose as her friends listened in.
The girl extended a hand and said, “I’m Lauren Jones.”
Ellen’s eyes shot up as she croaked, “The president’s daughter?”
“Exactly. But I call him Dad,” smiling a bit, “I must fly, see ya.”
The girls stared at Lauren as she went up the steps and the girls talked excitedly about her. After her first fifteen minutes, Lauren had created a stir.

Chapter 3
At noon, Lauren slammed her locker and headed for the president’s office.
“Lauren. Lauren Jones.” A voice called.
“Yeah?” she turned around and saw the four girls from this morning. The blonde looked at her and asked, “We’re going off campus for lunch, care to join us?”
“Thanks, but I have a lunch date,” as she walked towards her father’s office.

Lauren looked at the elderly lady behind the desk and greeted her, “Hi Mrs. Atherson.”
“Lauren? Gracious child, you’ve grown since I’ve seen you,” smiling at her.
“Is Dad busy?”
“He’s never busy for you and you know it. Go right on in.”
“Thanks,” as she knocked lightly on the door and peered in. Lauren walked in on her father and a man slightly familiar to her – a man in his late twenties with blond hair and gray eyes – as her father said, “Lauren, what a surprise.”
“You asked me to meet you for lunch, remember?” teasing him.
Indy grinned at his daughter, then looked at the man next to him, and said; “Have you two met?”
“She’s in my class, Professor Jones,” the man replied, “My archeology course in the morning.”
“Professor Raleigh, of course,” smiling at the man.
“Then you’ve met my daughter then?” Indy said.
“Your daughter?” the younger professor was shocked a bit. Indy grinned and said, “Lauren wants to be an archeologist one day. She’s been a help to me on several expeditions.”
“But I’m just working on my studies, Dad,” Lauren said.
“I didn’t realize you were married, Dr. Jones,” the professor stammered.
“I’m not,” roughly, “My wife died when Lauren turned sixteen. Cancer.”
“I’m sorry,” as Lauren cleared her throat and said, “Dad, how about lunch?”
“Right,” as he shook the professor’s hand and said, “Enjoy yourself, professor. And don’t let my daughter intimidate you. She maybe bright, but she has a lot to learn.”
“Dad!” her face turning slightly red.
“Ok, ok,” grinning as they turned to leave the office, “Good day.”

Chapter 4
Lauren and Indy walked out of the office as Lauren asked, “What did you have to embarrass me like that?”
“I was just joking, Laurie,” tousling her hair, “Really.”
“Ok,” as they walked out of the building, “Where to?”
“How about the café across the street?”
“Sure,” she said brightly as she took her father’s arm. They walked hand and hand to the café as a waiter came up to them and said,
“What can I get for you?”
“A bowl of minestrone,” Indy said, “and a cup of coffee.”
“And for your granddaughter?” eyeing Lauren with interest.
“She’s my daughter,” Indy said roughly, “Laurie?”
“Chicken salad sandwich, a bag of pretzels, and a glass of milk.”
“Sure,” as the waiter left. Indy looked at his daughter and said,
“Now I see why you don’t eat breakfast.”
“Dad, you’re a terrible cook,” Lauren chided.
Indy laughed as one of his colleagues walked past their tables, “Ah, Professor Jones.”
“Afternoon, William.”
“Going after someone younger?” eyeing Lauren.
“No,” laughing a bit, “I take it you haven’t met my daughter, Lauren?”
“Lauren. Little Laurie?” looking at her with interest, “You’ve grown.”
“Have I?” Lauren said feigning with surprise, “Hmm, hadn’t noticed.”
“She’s got your wit, Jones,” William said, smiling a bit.
“Thanks, professor,” Lauren smiled brightly as William left them alone when their lunch arrived.
Indy looked around them and saw most of the males staring at her. While Lauren looked like him, she got her mother’s whimsical charm and inner beauty. Lauren looked at him, folded her hands, and said,
“What’s up, Dad? Cat got your tongue?”
“Sorry,” grinning at her, “Do you realize how much attention you get?”
Giggling a bit, Lauren looked at him with a smile and said, “You should have seen me this morning when I pulled up with my motorcycle, Dad. Now that was attention!”
“I can imagine,” smiling a bit. Indy remembered how much his sons, now 20, were shocked when he bought Lauren a motorcycle for her birthday last year. Lauren had always been a spoiled child since her emergency delivery, but like Kate, she wanted to be treated equally.
“Well, Dad,” as Lauren got up from the table, “See ya at home. I have a class in fifteen minutes.”
“Alright. See you at home.”
“Whenever that will be,” jokingly as she put her hat on and walked out, eyes following her out.
Indy just shook his head and thought Too much like me and Kate combined. There should be a law against that. He smiled a bit, paid the bill, and left.

Chapter 6
Dr. Raleigh was locking his office at precisely six o’clock. He headed out the parking lot towards his car when he heard, “Professor Raleigh.”
He turned to a person wearing a black helmet and leather jacket on a motorcycle. He stammered and said,
“I have no money, young man.”
The person laughed and took off the helmet. He was shocked for a minute and said, “Miss Jones?”
“Lauren, please,” laughing a bit, “Thought I was going to rob you?”
“The thought did cross my mind,” smiling a bit.
“Heading home to the wife and kids?”
“No,” as he fumbled to find his keys, “I’m not married.”
“Really? How come?”
“Never found that right person. Why the interest?”
“Just curious that’s all. The majority of the professors here are married.”
“I see,” looking at her, and swallowed hard. He liked this girl, but she’s his student and too young for him.
“Care to join me and Dad for dinner?” she asked.
“What would your father say?”
“Dad wouldn’t mind. Ever since my brothers left for college and my mom’s death, we like the company.”
“Sure,” trying not to sound eager.
Lauren patted the back of her motorcycle, “Hop on.”
“Are you sure about this?”
“Relax, I’m a good driver,” as she put her helmet on and started the motorcycle, “Just put your arms around my waist and hold on tight.”
Raleigh got on the back of the motorcycle and did what she instructed. She rode up the hill to the president’s house. She pulled up in front of the house just as the door opened. Lauren looked up and said,
“Hi, Dad. I brought home some company.”
“That’s fine. Dinner’s on the table.”
“I’ll wash up,” as she ran inside the house. Raleigh stammered and said, “There’s nothing between us, Dr. Jones.”
“Relax, Tom,” Indy chided, “I’m not like that. If something does happen between you and her, I wouldn’t mind. Lauren’s capable of making her own decisions.”
“What about the rest of the faculty?”
“Never mind them,” he said, “They shouldn’t put their noses where it doesn’t belong anyway.”
Raleigh laughed as he joined the Joneses for dinner and for the first time finally felt in place.

Chapter 7
The last day of the semester was approaching; Professor Raleigh was heading off to his car after posting his grades. He caught a familiar figure walking in the hallway and said, “Lauren?”
The girl turned, smiled, and said, “Hi, Professor. Working late?”
“Yes, I am. Shouldn’t you be home?”
“I will be soon, if Dad ever gets out of his meeting.”
“No motorcycle today?”
“Not in this snow,” she grinned, “Ruins the engine.”
“I see,” looking at her, “How about a lift?”
“Sure, let me tell Dad’s secretary,” as she walked towards the office.
Raleigh looked at the girl and thought She’s beautiful and intelligent. But then realized that she was his student and brushed the feelings away as Lauren approached, “Perfect timing, Mrs. Atherson was ready to call campus security for me.”
“Your father doesn’t trust you to drive?”
“Oh, he does, but not his car,” grinning, “Mine’s being borrowed by one of my brothers.”
“Your brothers?”
“My twin older brothers. They just got in last night from Princeton.”
“I see,” as helped her into his car.
As he pulled up to her house a while later, Lauren turned to him and said, “Thanks.”
“Sure thing,” as Lauren got out of the car and the said, “Do you want something to drink? Coffee? Hot chocolate?”
Why not? He thought as he parked the car and followed Lauren in. She called out, “Eric, Mike. Where are ya?”
“Miss Laurie,” said the maid coming in.
“Hi, Marcia,” Lauren said, “Where are my brothers?”
“Eric and Michael had dates. I was just leaving for the day.”
“Thanks,” smiling, “See you Monday.”
As the maid left, Raleigh looked at Lauren, gulped, and wondered what he’d gotten himself into.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]