What do you think?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Deirdre Campbell from 203.177.7.42 on July 25, 1999 at 05:39:25:

In Reply to: What on Earth is happening here??? posted by ROB T. on July 25, 1999 at 04:49:12:

Dear Rob,.

Now that I don't think I could really argue on. For if it weren't for this, I doubt that this forum novel would be so great. Man is by nature vain and is concerned about things going on in his mileu which involve him or things related to him.

Yes... I know that sounds rather ironic coming from me, the one who actually wrote the first chapter(with no other thought in mind as to bid Tessa here a humorous farewell). AM I VAIN? Let's see

You said that only the authors are the ones interested in reading these "attempts at fiction writing"; which is not totally correct. Not only the authors find this forum novel entertaining, but also some other people who have not contributed at all(I wont mention names here but if you scan the posts you'll see what I mean).

Yes, the forum novel is causing much of a stir, and I was expecting this to result in protests like yours. You are not the first.

But one should not always look at the negativities which this has brought about, but also see the other side of the coin. And weigh the pros and cons. First and foremost, it does drive out the drudgery. If you would really think about it, Indyfans couldn't go on an discuss old topics over and over again (e.g. books,clothes...)without getting fed-up with these topics on which they have given their opinion about a thousand times and more. We see these novels, partly as part of our vanity (some unconsciously I believe) and as a refreshing change from the monotomy of discussing wests,whips & webleys.

We however are NOT saying that we ONLY want to do this stuff, which would turn out pretty boring eventually too, but we just like to spread out a bit and live out part of our lives which are rather "Indy-inspired". So we are not totally getting off-base but still have one foot on Indyish ground.

Rob, you have everyright to complain. I don't really blame you. Our silly & crazy posts are oblitering the forum unwantedly. This dilemna has "also" brought out a surprising and I hope delightful solution. It made some of us think (GEE*they actually do?!), and some of us have come up with the idea of establishing a new Indyfan webpage. I shouldn't actually be telling you all this, since this idea is still in the process of becoming a reality, but hell, I can't keep such good news (is it?) to myself.

Oh and this is not to be misunderstood: we are not evacuating from this forum either! Heaven forbid, it would take more than a dozen elephants to drag us away from this wonderful wonderful website...

So, there. I have said my peace (now I can have a good night's sleep for once)and that's about all I have to say for now. Your questions, opinions & violent reactions are very much welcome.

Sincerely yours,
Deirdre Campbell

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: