Re: What novels would be of interest to Indyfans?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Dodge (fka Nick Kismet) from ppp-38-pm1-beaverton.spiretech.com on August 29, 1999 at 19:12:58:

In Reply to: What novels would be of interest to Indyfans? posted by ROB T. on August 29, 1999 at 04:31:01:

The Takers series (only 2 novels) by Jerry and Sharon Ahern

These were written in the early eighties, but they are great fun. They feature Josh Culhane, an adventure writer and his girlfriend Fanny Mulrooney, a writer of speculative occult books. In the first novel, they start with a search for Atlantis and end up discovering an abandoned alien city underneath the Antarctic ice (yes, this was years before anyone ever heard of the X-files)
In the second book, Josh and Fanny travel up the Amazon, carrying the ransom for a kidnapped hostage, and searching for the lost civilization of the Amazon women.
I know those descriptions make the stories sound kind of cartoonish, but so would most descriptions of the Indiana Jones movies. These are great stories, especially for "firearms enthusiasts."
Forestall tells me that the Aherns also wrote a short story featuring the Takers and a search for the Holy Grail. One of these days I am going to contact Ahern and see if I can get permission to reprint the story on my website. When I do, I will also be putting on the pressure for them to write more adventures of Josh and Fanny (they just released a fantasy novel with Baen books, so we know they haven't stopped writing.)
To this day, the two Takers novels remain my favorite books, held together with tape because I have read them so many times.
The books are out of print, but might be floating around your local used paperback store.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]