Golden Gate Bridge in Raiders?!?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on November 03, 1999 at 21:01:03:

A week after buying the Widescreen Indiana Jones tapes, I finally got a chance to see them. I have to say - Widescreen RULES!!!

Anyways, to my main point - something that finally hit me when I last saw Raiders of the Lost Ark (and I can't believe that it didn't occur to me before!): if Raiders takes place in 1936, why does it show a fully-built Golden Gate Bridge in the background, when Indy's plane flies off to Tibet from San Francisco???

The Golden Gate Bridge was completed and opened to pedestrian traffic on May 27, 1937, and was opened to vehicular traffic the following day. I remember being there for the Bridge's 50-year anniversary ceremony back in 1987 (man, I'm old! :( )!

Another interesting tidbit: The Golden Gate Bridge has always been painted orange vermilion, deemed "International Orange", instead of the carbon black and steel gray originally proposed. Orange vermillion was selected because it blends well with the span's natural setting. If the U.S. Navy had its way, though, the Bridge might have been painted black with yellow stripes to assure greater visibility for passing ships.

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]