I agree with the BOTH of you

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana James from spider-tr033.proxy.aol.com on March 13, 2000 at 23:36:03:

In Reply to: Yes, my apologies... posted by Patterson on March 13, 2000 at 13:59:57:

: : : There are a few stores around me (Boston area) that carry Alden dress shoes, but none that seem to carry the casual boots.

: : : This means I'll probably mail order, so I gotta get the sizing right.

: : : Those of you who own a pair, how do they fit? Do they match your regular size? Tight? Loose? Do they come with innersoles?

: : : TIA!

: : : // mf

: : I'd get measured by a professional before ordering. I ordered my exact size, as the professionals say that over 85% of the males in the US are wearing the wrong sized shoe. The standard is to have at least 1/2 inch in front of your longest toe to allow correct roll of the foot. I didn't believe it either, until I ordered my first pair of Aldens. I actually had to order them on direction of my doctor, and to date after getting these, my problems have been practically eliminated. This is one of the very few times I really can't agree with my friend Patterson's advice. Get measured by a professional and order your measure size, unless your just used to wearing shoes to small for you feet. I did for years, and am now suffering for it. Don't make my mistake. Regards. Michaelson

: Yes, I'll have to agree with Michaelson's disagreement to a point. When you're spending $200 on shoes - GET MEASURED! My response above was far too abrupt for something not so cut and dry. My apologies.

: As for the "take 1/2 off" response - it does hold with the advice the Alden Shop in San Francisco gives. My feet measure 11 1/2 D. My 405's are 11's, and they fit perfectly. This does not mean, however, that I am disagreeing with Michaelson. It does mean that I have THE most common width foot out there, and for me the -1/2 rule works. Go to a footwear retailer that specializes in orthopedic shoes and get sized.

: Again, I apologize for the abrupt response.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Yeah, first thing to do is actually get someone who knows what the heck they're doing to measure your foot, but my pair of Nike's are 11's, and according to the "Patterson Theory" I would wear a 10 1/2 Alden's...my Alden's ARE 10 1/2.
I tend to bend more towards Michaelson's idea because I beleive that Patterson and I are the only documented occurences of the P-Theory. Take that for what it's worth.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]