Yes, my apologies...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on March 13, 2000 at 13:59:57:

In Reply to: Re: Alden Sizing posted by Michaelson on March 13, 2000 at 13:00:32:

: : There are a few stores around me (Boston area) that carry Alden dress shoes, but none that seem to carry the casual boots.

: : This means I'll probably mail order, so I gotta get the sizing right.

: : Those of you who own a pair, how do they fit? Do they match your regular size? Tight? Loose? Do they come with innersoles?

: : TIA!

: : // mf

: I'd get measured by a professional before ordering. I ordered my exact size, as the professionals say that over 85% of the males in the US are wearing the wrong sized shoe. The standard is to have at least 1/2 inch in front of your longest toe to allow correct roll of the foot. I didn't believe it either, until I ordered my first pair of Aldens. I actually had to order them on direction of my doctor, and to date after getting these, my problems have been practically eliminated. This is one of the very few times I really can't agree with my friend Patterson's advice. Get measured by a professional and order your measure size, unless your just used to wearing shoes to small for you feet. I did for years, and am now suffering for it. Don't make my mistake. Regards. Michaelson

Yes, I'll have to agree with Michaelson's disagreement to a point. When you're spending $200 on shoes - GET MEASURED! My response above was far too abrupt for something not so cut and dry. My apologies.

As for the "take 1/2 off" response - it does hold with the advice the Alden Shop in San Francisco gives. My feet measure 11 1/2 D. My 405's are 11's, and they fit perfectly. This does not mean, however, that I am disagreeing with Michaelson. It does mean that I have THE most common width foot out there, and for me the -1/2 rule works. Go to a footwear retailer that specializes in orthopedic shoes and get sized.

Again, I apologize for the abrupt response.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: