Ohhhhhh. Thanks, Nitzche. Sorry for my stupidity. NM

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ulla from 120.oak01.pon.net on March 19, 2000 at 11:44:46:

In Reply to: Re: Eh? posted by nitzsche on March 18, 2000 at 13:54:50:

: : To be quite honest, (and this is the naive Ulla speaking [typing?!:-]) but I never quite "got" that exchange of lines.
: : I mean, sure, Indy has SIMILAR eyes to Sean Connery's, and I've NEVER seen his mother's, but the rest belongs to Elsa?
: : DID I MISS SOMETHIN' HERE?!
: : Perhaps Indy is to "advanced" in intellect for me, but, come to think of it, I don't get a LOT of lines from the trilogy!
: : (Remember that forum question by me on Marion saying "I don't think we need a chaperone?"! Geez, I am turning into "'Mickey Mouse'"!!)
: : Weirdly,
: : Ulla
: : the Naivette

:
: I believe one reads the Venice scene like this:
: "Dr. Jones? I knew it was you; you have your father's eyes."
: (Elsa recognizes Indy as she has been close to his father. To recognize his eyes in particular foreshadows the intimacy that would be revealed later.)

: "And my mother's ears..."
: (Indy is making a multi-layered joke here. (1) He is remarking that his hearing is good, since he immediately reacts to Elsa calling his name--he has good hearing (2) His ears look like his mothers just like his eyes look like his fathers...in a sense those physical characteristics belong to his parents)

: "...but the rest belongs to you!"
: (Here, Indy is saying essentially: "The rest of my parts belong to you, Elsa. He is flirting with her; making a pass by saying "If you want the rest of my body, it is yours, doll!")

: That's how I read that scene

: --nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: